Navigation - What do you use?

docc

One of the adverse effects I discovered running Sat-Nav is the Tractor Beam Effect.

Oh, you think the "tractor beam" is the thing of Star Speck science fictionalism?  Turns out, if you are the guy with the nav, and know the way, various elements may become magnetically attracted to your trajectory, as if by "tractor beam." 

Even if those "elements" follow too closely and are discovered to have failed brakes . . .

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-12%20at%209.50.0

A FireTruck in a parade, followed closely by two competing marching bands. :o

After seeing those following distances, and learning that one of the bikes was running on a brake failure, I changed my Sat-Nav protocols . . .

IMG_3348.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I found one of my Route books and a couple Route Cards that I made to get to the Barber Vintage Festival entirely on backroads and around all the little towns. The cards are just sections of the DelOrme copied in black&white, then highlighted to read at a glance. Worked a charm. Had I been on my Sport, I would have been using the Zūmo, but was on the Honda GB 500 that year with a tankbag only . . .

IMG_4404.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, docc said:

I found one of my Route books and a couple Route Cards that I made to get to the Barber Vintage Festival entirely on backroads and around all the little towns. The cards are just sections of the DelOrme copied in black&white, then highlighted to read at a glance. Worked a charm. Had I been on my Sport, I would have been using the Zūmo, but was on the Honda GB 500 that year with a tankbag only . . .

IMG_4404.jpg

Guess you went thru...and not around...this Tennessee hamlet...

1200px-Sweet-Lips-sign-tn.jpg

• Haha 2

I've done the same but with printed off sections of google maps, highlighted and cut into trapezoids. I rode once long ago with a guy who used one of those scroll thingies. I thought that was cool but didn't have the patience to prep one.

• Like 1

You know that your Sat-Nav has bumped-up against your analog existence when the battery has to come out of your > device < to re-boot it, while the hardware rests soundly on your Moto Guzzi's wiring diagram . . .

IMG_3729.jpg

I find that either running the glow plug cycle a couple times first, or praying the rosary 3 times, works better for rebooting the Zumo GPS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone used the newer pro version of rever?  Combo of offline maps, butler map views, easier saved routes, and then some things which may or may not prove to be of value (3D views, etc), seems it might stand out from the crowd of not-so-great map apps.

I hate recurring charges, but $4/mo can be palatable for the right thing... I’ll probably try this pro version on the free trial.

• Like 1