Sport 1100 vs V11

knumbnutz

Howdy all,

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Sport 1100 models ?

I know the V11 pretty well and was looking at a Sport 1100 today and the frame shock swingarm seems basically the same or similar, so im wondering if say a 6speed gearbox fits a Sport 1100, ECU type etc?

Wheres a good place to learn more?

regards Neil

20 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Howdy all,

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Sport 1100 models ?

I know the V11 pretty well and was looking at a Sport 1100 today and the frame shock swingarm seems basically the same or similar, so im wondering if say a 6speed gearbox fits a Sport 1100, ECU type etc?

Wheres a good place to learn more?

regards Neil

Nope, not even close to fitting. Gearbox mounts are different as is the engine offset in the frame.

Ciao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Nope, not even close to fitting. Gearbox mounts are different as is the engine offset in the frame.

Ciao

Here's the next question begged; Will 1100 Sport bodywork fit a V11 frame?

• Like 2

Hey up Knumbnutz, one truly excellent source of information is Richardsons ‘Guzziology’.  I was flicking through it only today and was interested to note that the 1100 Sports, and Daytonas, don’t have the rubber cush drives that the V11 do.  Highly recommend it mate.

• Like 2

Far too many differences to list. Even between the Sport C and Sport I there are a host of changes. If you can be more specific about what you want to know or what you are thinking might be possible I may be able to help a bit further but if I started down the road of listing the differences A to Z I'd probably still be typing at Easter and remembering other little bits of shit to add.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, pete roper said:

Far too many differences to list. Even between the Sport C and Sport I there are a host of changes. If you can be more specific about what you want to know or what you are thinking might be possible I may be able to help a bit further but if I started down the road of listing the differences A to Z I'd probably still be typing at Easter and remembering other little bits of shit to add.

Well I like the look of the sport but prefer the 6 speed box of the V11. I thing they can match up from engine to gearbox ok, so it was just a matter of whether the gearbox fits the frame. 

Cush drive was an interesting point too. I would prefer the injected model with USD forks over the carb model, although there is a carb model up for sale just down the road from me at the moment fitted with FCR carbs, but it needs a lot of TLC and at $10K, its probably got $3K in cosmetics to spend on it, not to mention its not the i model..

4 hours ago, knumbnutz said:

Well I like the look of the sport but prefer the 6 speed box of the V11. I thing they can match up from engine to gearbox ok, so it was just a matter of whether the gearbox fits the frame. 

Cush drive was an interesting point too. I would prefer the injected model with USD forks over the carb model, although there is a carb model up for sale just down the road from me at the moment fitted with FCR carbs, but it needs a lot of TLC and at $10K, its probably got $3K in cosmetics to spend on it, not to mention its not the i model..

I know what you're saying, I've thought the same. Personally the gearbox wouldn't hold me back from buying. I would want the USD forks though. All depends on your fantasy. If yer askin I'd wait for a deal on the later model.

• Like 1

Knumbnutz,I had an 1100 sport ie and I have now a V11 LeMans.When I first rode the V11 It felt like it was a completely different bike,it was kind of glued to the ground with much less vibrations,and hardly any strange little sounds.It almost felt like a bike from a different era.Much more modern.

The 1100 sport was,if it was crosswind and a bad road more like hanging on to a steel pipe with handle bars.Part of that excitement and effort needed was one thing that got me hooked on Guzzis.Also because on a good road the 1100sport was fantastic.

That's my experience of riding them anyway.

• Like 4

Hello

In a carb 1100 sport the 6 speed box is more difficult to install. The front subframe is welded onto the frame, so you can't replace it by the V11 part. Also the bottom subframe needs to be replaced by the V11 part. This is the only way to get the engine/gearbox to the center. Rear drive and propshaft also need to be V11 parts. About the swing arm I am not sure of but supposedly too. For 1100ie and Centauro it is possible when you get the parts togethter.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, footgoose said:

I know what you're saying, I've thought the same. Personally the gearbox wouldn't hold me back from buying. I would want the USD forks though. All depends on your fantasy. If yer askin I'd wait for a deal on the later model.

In my experiance, the 1100 Sport M1R fork is a better fork than all the different USD forks in the V11 - except the Öhlins units.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, footgoose said:

I have a set of R1 forks/triple clamps/bars/brakes/mudguard that are shortly to accept the Carb Sport spindle and go USD.  Bloody lot safer than the Marzocchis that are on it and near-on killed me last time I was out when I hit a pothole cranked over and bump-steered myself into the oncoming lane in the twisties.  There was a car coming, fortunately with an alert driver.  That was 5 years ago.  Completely frightened me.  I’ve been on other Guzzi’s, and other bikes, but not going back onto the 1100 Sport until it has a more compliant front end.  Similar length forks, and rake is less than a quarter of a degree difference, with a bit to play with on maybe lowering the triple clamps a little.....

• Like 3

Welcome DavidB, there is a long ago thread of a member here doing Suzuki clamps and Ohlins on a V11. Probably a good idea. Let us follow the journey, ,, all of us here secretly want an 1100 Spot so post some photos when you get round tuit....

• Like 2

G'day mate

I too had a heart in mouth moment years ago with the standard V11 forks!

Hammering hard into a left hand sweeper which tightened a fair bit then unbeknownst to me the bloody road ends in a t junction!!

As I'm heeled over the front hits a pothole and the bloody front end bounces up and deflects to the right a good 12 inches or so it felt!

Managed to get it under control and HARD on the brakes and stopped JUST in time.

It scared the crap outa me at the time eh.

Ha ha that was about 8 years ago and remember it vividly.

I got the front end resprung/ valved and a Hyperpro shock out back and set up for me soon after and it's a LOT better.

However the front can still bounce up very slightly on a big pothole / bump  but it doesn't deflect any more, Thank god.Just a slight shake of the bars.

I've since seen a thread about the two holes in the compression side fork that the oil blows through these and not through the valving.

This then results in the hydraulic lock and bounce back that we've both encountered !

So I reckon that when I get my suspension serviced soon I'll be looking at blocking one or both of these which should then stop the hydraulic lock?

I think it was guzzimike or guzzimoto ( don't quote me ) who posted this and he did it on his wife's V11 with very good results.

Once this is done it should remove the potential hopefully altogether.

Cheers Guzzler

Ps Crap roads don't help eh

• Like 2

16 hours ago, footgoose said:

Welcome DavidB, there is a long ago thread of a member here doing Suzuki clamps and Ohlins on a V11. Probably a good idea. Let us follow the journey, ,, all of us here secretly want an 1100 Spot so post some photos when you get round tuit....

I have GSXR forks on my spine frame Daytona. I am sure there are others.

I was able to make the GSXR forks fit simply by using a different steering head bearing set with a different ID, and I added a small spacer below the bottom gearing to adjust the length.

I have another set of GSXR forks that will likely end up on the wife's V11 some day. But a Jeep keeps eating all my expendable time.....

I am also the guy who found the odd damping set up in the early V11 forks. The early forks have two bleed holes that allow fork oil to bypass the valving until the forks compress past them. That means that only the last quarter or so of travel actually has compression damping. By blocking one of the two holes I was able to get not only damping, but now the adjuster actually does something. Previously it had no effect because the oil simply bypassed everything else and went through the two holes.

Sorry, I am not around here much lately. I feel guilty, but in the end I am happy to be alive. 

• Thanks 3