Who's been to Peru? --> What to ride discussion.

Pressureangle

Soooo....

Life takes odd turns, doesn't it? I've not left the plan to attend the IoM races in the relatively near future, but I have done some investigations on something with less politics and logistics. 
So, as I have a friend in Peru, I think I'll go there. Entry for people and things is *relatively* easy it appears, although at this moment they're still applying COVID lockdowns at least in Lima. I'll plan for some time after that eases- no sooner than next week lol. 

I'm sure some of you have been there. Has anyone ridden there? If you could have any bike there, what would it be? It's hard to get a grasp on the roads other than that they appear to be suitable to a horde of Chinese <250cc 'sportbikes'. I didn't see much dirt, but of course that isn't very touristy when selling your country. I was thinking a RE Himalayan, but then the distances between things I'd like to see are 2-3 days each way, so maybe 24hp isn't going to cut it. What's the speed limit? Is something dirt-road compatible mandatory? My knees are not up to 4 hours of hiking. What's the best season? I tend to like it warmer than most, although anything above 60ºF is cherry as long as it's dry. 
Anybody?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Soooo....

Life takes odd turns, doesn't it? I've not left the plan to attend the IoM races in the relatively near future, but I have done some investigations on something with less politics and logistics. 
So, as I have a friend in Peru, I think I'll go there. Entry for people and things is *relatively* easy it appears, although at this moment they're still applying COVID lockdowns at least in Lima. I'll plan for some time after that eases- no sooner than next week lol. 

I'm sure some of you have been there. Has anyone ridden there? If you could have any bike there, what would it be? It's hard to get a grasp on the roads other than that they appear to be suitable to a horde of Chinese <250cc 'sportbikes'. I didn't see much dirt, but of course that isn't very touristy when selling your country. I was thinking a RE Himalayan, but then the distances between things I'd like to see are 2-3 days each way, so maybe 24hp isn't going to cut it. What's the speed limit? Is something dirt-road compatible mandatory? My knees are not up to 4 hours of hiking. What's the best season? I tend to like it warmer than most, although anything above 60* is cherry as long as it's dry. 
Anybody?

Have you watched "Long Way Up" ? Ewan McGregors latest motorcycling documentary....It came out a couple months ago..Has some great footage of riding in Peru ....Happy Riding!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I assume you've seen Itchy Boots? A Himalayan has been most excellent in her travels.

My friend in Rome does motorcycle rentals and tours all over Italy..he is a Guzziesti but He has a few of those Himalayans he rides and rents ..He was just telling me yesterday  what a great little bike they are and how dependable they are, He says if I ride one for a day or two I'll " have to have one"..."Not for Serious off road he says but excellent for dirt roads etc..and if you go down one tooth in front they have some spirit".

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I assume you've seen Itchy Boots? A Himalayan has been most excellent in her travels.

Excellent. I'd heard of her but didn't think she had so much on her website. Lots of downtime viewing. Thanks.

As an owner I'm a bit biased, but Suzuki DR650s have a great reputation for that type of touring as well as the Himalayan.

I know Royal Enfield support is a little skimpy in North America not sure what it would be like in Peru compared to Suzuki, fwiw.

Either way. sounds like a great area for an adventure tour.

• Like 2

Here is an article on motorcycle travel in Peru written by Florian Neuhauser for Roadrunner Magazine in 2011. I had thought I had seen a more recent travelogue in that magazine, but perhaps there are some helpful insights here:

https://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/november-december-2011/page/50/

[edit: Actually, a web search for Peru and Roadrunner Magazine brings up several articles by them. Here is a preview of a 2017 article:https://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/march-april-2017/page/114/ ]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

As an owner I'm a bit biased, but Suzuki DR650s have a great reputation for that type of touring as well as the Himalayan.

I know Royal Enfield support is a little skimpy in North America not sure what it would be like in Peru compared to Suzuki, fwiw.

Either way. sounds like a great area for an adventure tour.

"...support is a little skimpy..." LOL I ride a Moto Guzzi... Ah hain't skeert none.

Florida has 3 MG dealers and 5 RE dealers. 

• Haha 2