Reviving an Old Garage

1 hour ago, leroysch said:

I expanded an existing shop space using white peg board compared with the old space which used dry wall and brown pegboard. I was pleasantly surprised by how bright the new space turned out!.

Old

IMG_20200402_104527034.jpg

New

20210128_111345.jpg

Yes same as when our hangar floors were coated in a white finish. So much brighter even with the original hangar lighting.

Ciao

• Like 1
10 hours ago, docc said:

Seems some garage doors are more "insulated" than others!  :grin:

No one mentioned a sound system, yet. My shop would not be complete without tunes . . .

Whaddaya mean ? That's understood . a 40 CD player , 4 BIG speakers in the rafters( 2 on ea. end ) , can't remember the brand they have been there so long . I look at the stereo every day and don't remember the brand . Hmmmm , memory loss is a b..ch .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gstallons said:

P.S. for a shop this size , get a Bose WaveRadio /  CD player . If you've heard one ; nuff said . 

Second that or even the Bose Mini sound II..I have one in my shop, I listen to Spotify on it all the time..Great selection and amazing sound from such a compact unit!

@Bill Hagan has built a couple admirable garages, The Garage Mahal at his last place and his current Moto Grappa . . .

@Kane, I wonder about a simple "acid wash" for your interior wood (looks like the roof decking is already new. Just a spray down with white vinegar solution, maybe a little brushing, let it stand then rinse may be all it takes to neutralize growth and brighten the old wood a bit. Just must have a way to move dry air over it all until entirely dry again.

• Like 2

Hi to all,

I run a small restoration company and have 2-3 projects on the go at anytime, say one service (up to 1week),one full veteran restoration (up to one year) and one medium size job (a couple of weeks+).

I use 3 narrowed hospital beds on wheels and find them invaliable as they can very easily be pushed out of the way even with a big bike on top.

They are cut to 2' wide and a 9x2" board clips in the back to wheel thhe bike on.

The front of the bike is secured with a 'bike grab' .

One lift is pedal operated and the 2 other electric.

They all came free and are more versatile than any other bike lift i have ever seen.

Well worth considering in your set up as you dont have that much space and might like to use the center of the floor for another project sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That sounds pretty handy. A lift of some type will be a must now that I have real shop space. The hospital bed solution sounds pretty cool.....would you post a pic, please!

Thanks!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Kane said:

That sounds pretty handy. A lift of some type will be a must now that I have real shop space. The hospital bed solution sounds pretty cool.....would you post a pic, please!

Thanks!

Hi everybody.

Here are a couple if pictures, the first one is the small bench ,what they call a hospital trolly.

It lifts a V11 no problem and is very steady.

The second one is electrically operated and the picture shows how easy it is to squeeze between bikes.

Hope this helps.

IMG_20210203_085247_6_copy_1024x576.jpg

• Like 3
Just now, Emeraldv11 said:

Hi everybody.

Here are a couple if pictures, the first one is the small bench ,what they call a hospital trolly.

It lifts a V11 no problem and is very steady.

The second one is electrically operated and the picture shows how easy it is to squeeze between bikes.

Hope this helps.

IMG_20210203_085247_6_copy_1024x576.jpg

IMG_20210203_085016_4_copy_1024x576.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, docc said:

@Bill Hagan has built a couple admirable garages, The Garage Mahal at his last place and his current Moto Grappa . . .

@Kane, I wonder about a simple "acid wash" for your interior wood (looks like the roof decking is already new. Just a spray down with white vinegar solution, maybe a little brushing, let it stand then rinse may be all it takes to neutralize growth and brighten the old wood a bit. Just must have a way to move dry air over it all until entirely dry again.

When we moved here to the top of Virginia, I left behind my beloved GarageMahalo in Atlanta.  Our new home included a detached -- code for "built-in early warning of spousal-unit visits" :D -- outbuilding, c.48'x28'.  Closed off c.40% for shop.  Since added a mini-split (and a Guzzi or two ).

Here's a slideshow/collage of the construction followed by more recent pix of it in use, including two of my able assistant at work and play. :wub: 

Think those show more or less 360º.  Among the "lessons learned" from the GarageMahalo were that, as with artillery, you can never have enough lights and power outlets. :notworthy:

GarageMahalo to Moto Grappa

i-d7GQSft-L.jpg

i-4wNLTQx-L.jpg

i-G9nF7Bp-L.jpg

i-Rg6DRXH-L.jpg

i-qkKFsH5-L.jpg

i-6j38dWP-L.jpg

i-cRN4VCP-L.jpg

i-W59dvk3-L.jpg

Happy to answer any questions.  Off now to errands ... if I can out of our snowy driveway! :whistle: 

Bill

• Like 3

Wear some type of breathing protection while you're working/cleaning until you get the mold spores and varmint droppings cleaned up, bleach is a good cheap surface mold killer and white latex paint will go a long way to sealing and brightening the space.

I'm not sure what your climate is like, but time & money spent sealing the space will make a bigger difference, rather than just insulation alone.

You can never have too much electrical power or bright lighting, for my old eyes, nothing beats bright sunshine coming over my shoulder onto whatever I'm working on.

Good looking structure for your project

• Like 3
8 hours ago, 68C said:

Bigger than my house!

It is bigger than I need -- as if anyone really needs a motorcycle-specific shop :whistle: -- but the uninsulated, cinder-block building came with our house.  The size of the improved space for the shop within that structure was more the result of (too) hasty "thinking" than a deliberate plan.  :huh2:  Details provided if desired, but only in person and fueled with bourbon.  :drink:

All of that said, it's been a great place all around.  The mini-split handles the heating and cooling more effectively and less expensively than I expected.   I usually keep two Guzzis in the "Moto" side, with one on the lift, and the other three share the "Grappa" wing with our Mini Cooper 'vert, an old Toy pickup, and the Cub Cadet garden tractor. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1