Reviving an Old Garage

3 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

All the Way, Sir!  Airborne!  :D

A master parachutist ... but vintage 1976, i.e., in the days we leaped from biplanes.  :oldgit:

Inexplicably to me, too, that sweatshirt has shrunk in astonishing ways since I ran down Ardennes in it.  :grin:

I was attached to the 82nd at Bragg and packed personnel and air delivery chutes for all users. '69 - '71

I jumped an interesting array of aircraft. Fun times! Great work shops!

• Like 2

Thanks so much for everyone’s excellent input and sharing. I’ve been distracted and consumed by work all week, but have the next few days to get down to cleaning a prepping the space. It’s great to read and see what you all are posting!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Like 1

After doing a good vacuum and sweep of the garage, I think I want to pressure wash everything to get the dirt etc off of the wood. I know I can rent a pressure washer, but are there decent pressure washers to buy for not too much, like around $200 or so? Any recommendations? It seems like that would be a handy thing to have around, and I can find other uses it may be a good thing to just buy to have around. 

• Like 1

I bought this one https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-Pro-Greenworks-Gen2-2300-Pressure-Washer/1003196492

last year and find it does everything I need. Not too big not too small. I've used the med-wide tip to wash the house, and narrow for concrete and old wood fencing. The really wide tip is kind of useless. Bear in mind for serious cutting it will be a narrow swath, an inch or so, so it will use a lot of water. I wish sometimes it was bigger but I don't want gas powered and don't want to pay more, so..... I Had a $1k gas powered John Deere 3800psi in the past and it was a hand full to operate and had a LOT of maintenance, so I sold it to the neighbor and he sold it after he used it. It was great but not worth the effort as a "homeowner" level tool. It's tough to decide your needs till you've used one.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, footgoose. I went to Home Depot today and rented a 2000psi gas pressure washer. Dang . That sucker kicks. Your 3800psi one must have been like wrestling an alligator!

A lot of gunk got washed off and flushed out, and I feel pretty good about the cleaner state of the walls and floor. I’ll let the garage air out for a week and proceed next weekend.

cheers!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kane said:

Thank you, footloose. I went to Home Depot today and rented a 2000psi gas pressure washer. Dang . That sucker kicks. Your 3800psi one must have been like wrestling an alligator!

A lot of gunk got washed off and flushed out, and I feel pretty good about the cleaner state of the walls and floor. I’ll let the garage air out for a week and proceed next weekend.

cheers!

Perfect! yeah that 3800psi was tough to handle. I used it on a block wall basement for about 40 min and at the end I knew I'd have to sell it. It could totally be used as a weapon. :ph34r:

Good job you rented. Now you know what size to get for any future projects. I need mine once or twice a year but when I do, it's great to have.

You may be happy with the wood once it dries out. At any rate, now it's really prepped for paint or stain. I'm envious of warm and dry climates cause I love the look and feel of ...rustic

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, Kane said:

Here’s the Green Muse in her soon-to-be-pimped lair. Finally got this space cleaned up. I hope to paint and start setting up this weekend.

Cleaned up nicely! I love old wood, so would be trying to preserve some panels, beams or structural members. Makes such a great backdrop for the photo shoots. :pic:  (I also get the "brighten it up" thing . . . . so maybe just keep the wood up front toward the doors?)

She looks quite happy in her new digs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally moving in. I left the wood natural, and taking docc’s good advice for an acid wash, gave it all a scrub with a vinegar/water/soap solution and a final rinse. It still smells like an Easter egg but I feel pretty good about the state of the old wood. I’ll put in some pegboard and bring more stuff in next week, but it’s great to finally have a workable space.

C1D6C44D-BE48-443F-919C-642E5A4FC18D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cool garage space !:thumbsup:   I like the look of all the wood also.

Light  and plenty of it.

whatever your planing    double it.  I can see an 8' fluorescent mounted against the "front wall" and then 1 on each of the horizontal "rafters" and finally something by the door.

I have a 3 car spot and have 10 8'double tubes in it. Neighbors use to rag on me that the sun went down everywhere except my garage

:race:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1