gearbox shifter shaft seal

docc

35 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

It's threads like this that make me afraid to read this forum.  

I seem to catch these maladies after they're posted here.   :wacko:

So, that's what got my seal a-weepin' . . . dammit, footgoose! ;)

• Like 1

Full disclosure: I'm not sure my seal is really leaking at all. I removed the sideplate to inspect the gearbox when my Sport failed to move under power and made an awful noise from "down yonder."  The problem was not the gearbox (split front driveshaft yoke), but I installed the the Chuck-designed/Scud-made Super Spring and performed (most of) the Lucky Phil Shift Improvement

I didn't get the sideplate sealed well and it weeps blue blood (RedLine Shockproof Lightweight) to a very slight, but annoying degree. So, I need to try and seal it again. Once off, I can finish the Lucky Phil Shift Improvement and install the McMaster-Carr roller bearing to replace my notchy original. Figured I might as well refresh the shifter shaft seal and be done with it.

One can hope . . . :luigi:

• Like 1

BUNA-N, i.e. Nitrile. The "garter" spring indicates a seal which can take some heat and pressure. Ya' know, you can get 15-26-7 double BUNA-N sealed ball bearings. A thin film of RTV to seal it against shaft and housing. The only problem is that shifting might be so smooth and effortless that there would be an apocalyptic, horrific reaction in all of nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1