Original Spine frame Guzzi

Lucky Phil

7 minutes ago, pete roper said:

Yeah, the V8 doesn't look nearly so pretty with its fairing off....:lol:

HA, right? I've never seen that view of The V8. The frame looks like a stand pipe off a sewer line . . . :bbblll:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docc said:

HA, right? I've never seen that view of The V8. The frame looks like a stand pipe off a sewer line . . . :bbblll:

I've got more from the Easter Classic meeting a few years ago at Broadford in Australia. It was flown over from the factory for a few demonstration laps. These are my images so not the usual stuff you would see.

I'll post them if anyone is interested.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, footgoose said:

they should of kept the sewer pipe. it's stronger than the box channel 2x4 we got.

True. Like an Egli frame but earlier. The Italians weren't much into frames in those days, it was all about the engine. Look at an MV Agusta from from the 50's, total rubbish. 

Ciao

While it is an interesting historical footnote there was nothing really *Special* about the Guzzi V8. It was just an extension of the philosophy that if you wanted to get 'more' out of the technology that was being used the only real way to do it was to increase the number of cylinders. That isn't to say it wasn't a design masterpiece but the Honda 250-6 of less than a decade later would eat it for breakfast and shit it out in tiny pieces.

Todero was, undoubtably, a wonderful engineer, (After leaving Guzzi he went on to design some amazing yachts.) but anyone who has worked on a Guzzi Hi-Cam of the first generation, a Centy or Daytona, which were his swan-song as a designer and engineer, knows that his designs were in many ways deeply flawed. The fact it's so hard for people to ever get the V8's to run properly at demonstrations is testament to this. Even in '56 and '57 it was always a struggle to keep the poxy things running and although wickedly quick I don't think they ever won a race.

Whether it could of been made reliable and truly competitive will always remain subject to conjecture as Guzzi withdrew from competition in '57. Coincidentally the year of my birth!

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I've got more from the Easter Classic meeting a few years ago at Broadford in Australia. It was flown over from the factory for a few demonstration laps. These are my images so not the usual stuff you would see.

I'll post them if anyone is interested.

thanks Phil. I'd like to see how they transferred rotation to the rear wheel. chain?

35 minutes ago, footgoose said:

thanks Phil. I'd like to see how they transferred rotation to the rear wheel. chain?

The Guzzi shaft system is only a later rear drive system 1970's onward. Chain was the favoured system pre 70's.

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pete roper said:

While it is an interesting historical footnote there was nothing really *Special* about the Guzzi V8. It was just an extension of the philosophy that if you wanted to get 'more' out of the technology that was being used the only real way to do it was to increase the number of cylinders. That isn't to say it wasn't a design masterpiece but the Honda 250-6 of less than a decade later would eat it for breakfast and shit it out in tiny pieces.

Todero was, undoubtably, a wonderful engineer, (After leaving Guzzi he went on to design some amazing yachts.) but anyone who has worked on a Guzzi Hi-Cam of the first generation, a Centy or Daytona, which were his swan-song as a designer and engineer, knows that his designs were in many ways deeply flawed. The fact it's so hard for people to ever get the V8's to run properly at demonstrations is testament to this. Even in '56 and '57 it was always a struggle to keep the poxy things running and although wickedly quick I don't think they ever won a race.

Whether it could of been made reliable and truly competitive will always remain subject to conjecture as Guzzi withdrew from competition in '57. Coincidentally the year of my birth!

While the hi-cam was from Umberto Todero, my understanding is the V8 came from Giulio Carcano (who went on the design yachts) . . . ?

I've downloaded around 2000 images from my phone over the last 6 years or so.

Phillip Island I think.

IMG_1410.JPG

Near the Brooklyn Bridge NY 2015 Distinguished Gentlemens Ride.

IMG_0748.JPG

A friends V7 Sport

IMG_0401.JPG

My good mat Pete Smiths original racing parallel twin from the 80's.

IMG_1432.JPG

Britten

IMG_1387.JPG

One for Docc.

IMG_1063.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk about the original Moto Guzzi V7 having the "presence of a Norman horse" . . .

I don't remember that one at Shiloh . . . Somewhere in Virginia?

3 minutes ago, docc said:

Talk about the original Moto Guzzi V7 having the "presence of a Norman horse" . . .

I don't remember that one at Shiloh . . . Somewhere in Virginia?

Manassas Junction docc, the battle of Bull Run. Nice little town as well.

• Thanks 1