MDI Carbon Alternator / Stator cover

4corsa

I contacted MDI Carbon and ordered one of these today ($71, currently 15% off)

https://mdicarbonfiber.com/products/ducati-moto_guzzi_1100_sport-alternator-cover

This piece was originally posted by Docc (merci!), but I couldn't find that post to tag onto. Appear to be good quality.

I was told they are 6 -7 weeks from shipping as they are special order and the factory is currently closed for 2 weeks holiday. So if you were ever thinking about getting one, now may be the time as they're dusting off the old mold.d5b9a02ff0208d5bfee8cebb7e2e2233.jpg

• Like 1

I hope you have better luck than I did, I ordered one from them 4 months ago..after a lot of drama it finally arrived last week and the Carbon looked nice but the indent where the eagle logo goes was totally off center and crooked..I told them I wanted my money back and returned it..that was about 10 days ago...I have not  heard anything from tthem yet.

Good luck to ya though..I bought several things from MDI for my Aprilia's in years past..and it was fine...but they were located in Georgia then, not San Diego.

IMG_5894.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4corsa said:

I contacted MDI Carbon and ordered one of these today ($71, currently 15% off)

https://mdicarbonfiber.com/products/ducati-moto_guzzi_1100_sport-alternator-cover

This piece was originally posted by Docc (merci!), but I couldn't find that post to tag onto. Appear to be good quality.

I was told they are 6 -7 weeks from shipping as they are special order and the factory is currently closed for 2 weeks holiday. So if you were ever thinking about getting one, now may be the time as they're dusting off the old mold.d5b9a02ff0208d5bfee8cebb7e2e2233.jpg

As mentioned a while back it's wise to be careful with the mount screws. I suggest a dab of Loctite Nut lock and a "just snug" tightening. The mounts don't have aluminium inserts like high quality stuff but it should be ok as it's only a simple unstressed cover. I'd also put it on a glass plate or surface plate and make sure its flat and use some wet and try to flatten it if its not. If it's too far out then glue some shimming washers on the low mounts so it doesn't distort when you bolt it up. 

Ciao

• Like 3

Then add a Gambalunga badge from @sp838 ?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ABDSPQG9A/gambalunga-badges-both-no-steel?optionId=23113230&li=shopshttps://www.shapeways.com/product/ABDSPQG9A/gambalunga-badges-both-no-steel?optionId=23113230&li=shops

710x528_8791014_2136242_1459346267.jpg

[sp838 offers "DeTomaso" eagles, too. Yet the V11 was built after the DeTomaso era while the original V11 Sport was "drawn after the Gambalunghino" according to the designer: Luciano Marabese. This Gambalunga/Gambalunghino emblem (c. 1949) will always be proper for the Marabese designed V11 Sport.]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4corsa said:

...no aluminum inserts, but the tabs are quite thick, so thinking should be ok.

Yes but the outer sections are very thin and to get enough torque to stretch a steel 6mm screw so it doesn't loosen will probably be too much for them after a while esp if the faces aren't dead square. Aluminium screws are also good for this stuff as they are a bit elastic for their dia but strong enough for unloaded covers.

Ciao  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes but the outer sections are very thin and to get enough torque to stretch a steel 6mm screw so it doesn't loosen will probably be too much for them after a while esp if the faces aren't dead square. Aluminium screws are also good for this stuff as they are a bit elastic for their dia but strong enough for unloaded covers.

Ciao  

Seems simple enough to ream the cover's mounting holes and slide in a "sleeve" to take up the torque of the fastener?

Otherwise, I gave up on these cf covers and totally went off the tracks . . .

IMG_7545.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Seems simple enough to ream the cover's mounting holes and slide in a "sleeve" to take up the torque of the fastener?

IMG_7545.jpg

The WW2 bomber engine look?

Ciao

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, docc said:

IMG_7545.jpg

You could powder coat it and spray clear over it with "flex" mixed in to avoid rock chips. That requires a mixable 2K paint, however. Much cheaper and garage doable is 3M Paint Defender, an aerosol clearcoat that sprays on thick and protects from rock chips. Lasts about one year on cars and can be peeled off and re-sprayed as needed. 

• Like 1

Ended up being rather (Aer)Macchi . . . not really what I started after, just what it became. Not for everyone.  Clear-coated what would not strip to the wire wheel . . .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAFdY8LuctOIosz9Lkdt0docuh4d3b1s11.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

I'm planning to put the 3m clear film on it, and replace as necessary.

It is our "leading edge", after all . . .

The Big Block Guzzi's "nose to the grindstone."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, docc said:

It is our "leading edge", after all . . .

The Big Block Guzzi's "nose to the grindstone."

The equivalent of a boxer leading with his chin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docc said:

IMG_7545.jpg

I would fab up a pair of .30 cal air-cooled MG barrels to poke out the front. Air cooled. MG. It all fits.

• Haha 1