Jump to content
IGNORED

Ohlins suspension for V11 Ballabio


Recommended Posts

 

Responding to Kane

triples are all 54mm so they'll work either way. The neck post and bearings..? I ain't positive but why would they be different? Overall length of the Ohlins is 20 - 23 mm longer than the early front legs. You'll just have to run them up into the clamps a bit to maintain the same geometry. All the post '01 bike forks are longer to accommodate the new frame specs and allow for the new style clip-on. I'm still of the opinion that the later frame was designed primarily for the addition of the LeMans to the expanding line.

The axle, I do not know but the correct axle and spacer should come with the forks. Front wheel and bearing 'should' be the same

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I said over on the AF1 forum I didn't think the price utterly outrageous. I mean they will be a direct bolt-on as they are from a basically identical machine. I'm sure that something else could eas

I meant to chime in a few days ago, but have been in Erie and thus outlaws (of the in-laws sort ) kept me from responding sooner.   Just as well as GuzziMoto "answered the mail" about the piggyba

Those forks should bolt up. You will have to change your front wheel bearings to accept that axle. thats the Ducati style hollow axle...same size bearings on both sides. There are no more ne

Posted Images

Those forks should bolt up. You will have to change your front wheel bearings to accept that axle.

thats the Ducati style hollow axle...same size bearings on both sides.

There are no more new rear Ohlins. Docc got the last one of those. There are other rears available

that work quite well...but then there not Ohlins.

sorry    I did not look at your location. if you are an eastern guy, there is a great shop in Henderson NC that does 

Ohlins. I would have them serviced with fresh oil, new seals, and have them set up for your weight

Andy:race:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andy york said:

Those forks should bolt up. You will have to change your front wheel bearings to accept that axle.

thats the Ducati style hollow axle...same size bearings on both sides.

There are no more new rear Ohlins. Docc got the last one of those. There are other rears available

that work quite well...but then there not Ohlins.

sorry    I did not look at your location. if you are an eastern guy, there is a great shop in Henderson NC that does 

Ohlins. I would have them serviced with fresh oil, new seals, and have them set up for your weight

Andy:race:

No, there're better.

Ciao 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, docc said:

@TeddyG's buddy likely has a V11 Ballabio, then. I do not believe there is room for a piggy back reservoir on a V11 . . .

A piggyback can be fitted. I have one on my Scura. There's room behind the airbox and above the shock under the seat. If it's thenstandard Scura/Corsa stuff it'll go right on.. 

The problem is the Ohlins front. It'll bolt up straight but the front fender won't. The front fenders for the Marzocchi to the Ohlins are completely different. He'd have to use the Aprilia fender and just paint it. Screw finding a Scura/Corsa front fender. Almost unobtainium and if found (  a huge IF) people want a fortune for them. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

A piggyback can be fitted. I have one on my Scura. There's room behind the airbox and above the shock under the seat. If it's thenstandard Scura/Corsa stuff it'll go right on.. 

The problem is the Ohlins front. It'll bolt up straight but the front fender won't. The front fenders for the Marzocchi to the Ohlins are completely different. He'd have to use the Aprilia fender and just paint it. Screw finding a Scura/Corsa front fender. Almost unobtainium and if found (  a huge IF) people want a fortune for them. 

Love to see some images of that shock set-up. buddy! :pic: How does it miss the battery tray?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, footgoose said:

......I'm still of the opinion that the later frame was designed primarily for the addition of the LeMans to the expanding line....

How so? Could not a LeMans do with the shorter frame?

I thought the V11 was basically a naked LeMans?
 

btw, thanks all for the encouraging info on an Ohlins / red frame marriage. I’ve not ridden a long frame bike, but I find my short red frame bike stable enough and fairly nimble considering her weight. The suspension feels a bit harsh at times, and I am sure that when I finally get around to sorting out what ever it needs it will perform better. But perhaps an Ohlins equipped red frame V11 would be a grand thing!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Kane said:

How so? Could not a LeMans do with the shorter frame?

I thought the V11 was basically a naked LeMans?
 

btw, thanks all for the encouraging info on an Ohlins / red frame marriage. I’ve not ridden a long frame bike, but I find my short red frame bike stable enough and fairly nimble considering her weight. The suspension feels a bit harsh at times, and I am sure that when I finally get around to sorting out what ever it needs it will perform better. But perhaps an Ohlins equipped red frame V11 would be a grand thing!

I could have worded that differently. They had other reasons for the subtle frame changes. The LM fairing is what I speculate pushed them to pull the trigger on the new frame. Not likely an easy decision considering cost. The early frame surely needed braced but as you said, it could have handled the LM fairing. The real question in my mind is why the 1100 Sport was not designated a LeMans. Makes no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 8:50 PM, docc said:

Love to see some images of that shock set-up. buddy! :pic: How does it miss the battery tray?

PM me your number and I'll text you pics. Then you can shrink and post them here. Im kinda Cro-Mag with this new forum tech posting pic stuff. 

Actually looking at it now. Res goes right where it should. I have the adjuster running near the battery tray. But the adjuster is about the size of the res so it would fit. Just prolly need shorter cables for all the plumbing.. I'll send you pics.. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, TeddyG said:

Greetings,

A friend bought a Bellagio and wants to add Ohlins shock and forks. I own an Aprilia Tuono and was wondering if the Ohlins on Aprilia is compatible, or if anyone has experience doing so. I realize the MG Ohlins shock utilizes a remote reservoir, but perhaps a newer piggyback style can fit? Ohlins Aprilia forks need a 51mm top and 53mm bottom yoke, so also wondering if Aprilia yokes can be used. If not, he'll just have to find the used MG specific units. Thanks for any information.

 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, Rox Lemans said:

A piggyback can be fitted. I have one on my Scura. There's room behind the airbox and above the shock under the seat. If it's thenstandard Scura/Corsa stuff it'll go right on.. 

The problem is the Ohlins front. It'll bolt up straight but the front fender won't. The front fenders for the Marzocchi to the Ohlins are completely different. He'd have to use the Aprilia fender and just paint it. Screw finding a Scura/Corsa front fender. Almost unobtainium and if found (  a huge IF) people want a fortune for them. 

Maybe I have the terms confused, but I was thinking a "piggyback" shock has the reservoir attached to the shock body.  I can't see how that would fit on the V11. Rox Lemans shared a pic of his Öhlins on his Scura. I suppose I would call this "remote reservoir with remote preload adjuster." This is the same unit I have, but Rox Lemans has a really interesting location for the Remote Preload adjuster: :thumbsup:

image.pngResized_PART_1614281070326_Resized_20210

Link to post
Share on other sites

I concur with docc. A piggyback shock is a shock with a reservoir directly attached to the shock body. A remote reservoir shock has the reservoir attached to the shock body via a flexible hose, usually steel braided because of the high pressure.

There likely would not be enough room on a V11 for a piggyback reservoir on a rear shock. You would want a remote reservoir shock. 

Also, the nature of the suspension geometry of a V11 is nothing like the geometry of a typical linkage suspension. So the valving and possibly travel of a shock made for a linkage rear suspension would likely not be very suitable for a V11 with its cantilever ( I believe that is the right term ) rear suspension.

That said, there are a number of options for having a shock made for a V11. It hardly seems worth it to go with something not suited for the job.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, GuzziMoto said:

I concur with docc. A piggyback shock is a shock with a reservoir directly attached to the shock body. A remote reservoir shock has the reservoir attached to the shock body via a flexible hose, usually steel braided because of the high pressure.

There likely would not be enough room on a V11 for a piggyback reservoir on a rear shock. You would want a remote reservoir shock. 

Also, the nature of the suspension geometry of a V11 is nothing like the geometry of a typical linkage suspension. So the valving and possibly travel of a shock made for a linkage rear suspension would likely not be very suitable for a V11 with its cantilever ( I believe that is the right term ) rear suspension.

That said, there are a number of options for having a shock made for a V11. It hardly seems worth it to go with something not suited for the job.

Yes and here's one of them, Wilbers alloy body 3 way adjustable damping with remote reservoir and preload adjuster made to my weight and riding style. I dont understand peoples obsession with Ohlins oem spec suspension. There are way better options available at less cost. reminds me of Ducati owners that wont use any other exhaust system than Termignoni exhausts which compared to Akrapovich are complete rubbish. The power of marketing.

Wilbers. Remote reservoir with high and low speed compression damping ( blue and red adjusters) and the red spring pre load adjuster knob above.

iphonepics 036.jpg

Ciao

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant to chime in a few days ago, but have been in Erie and thus outlaws (of the in-laws sort :whistle:) kept me from responding sooner.  

Just as well as GuzziMoto "answered the mail" about the piggyback v. remote-reservoir distinction with more clarity than I would have provided. .

The latter, an Ohlins, came OEM in the Cafe Sport and the Scura, the Ballabio's snooty cousins.  :D 

Someone in Atlanta had the then-dealer -- Atlanta Triumph Ducati (and in silenzio, Moto Guzzi :angry2:); long gone, of course -- install something even fancier on their Scura.  I got that (and the Scura's ECU) transferred to my Ballabio.  See pic.

I am hardly a suspension guru -- with the exception of sag, a topic that, at my age and fighting weight I am an expert, at least in providing lots of data points :wacko: -- but my obviously unsophisticated buttometer thought that the Ohlins was noticeably superior to the stock (Sachs WP, I think) one.

Bill

 

i-L6GbsC6-L.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...