Jump to content
IGNORED

tps with attitude


Recommended Posts

I just finished this post + hit the wrong button so I would guess it's filed into cyberspace??? I'll make this one much shorter===98 EV seems I can't adjust tps to 157mv I only get 133 + run out of space.If I remove one holding screw from the tps I can squeek a little more assuming I settle on 133 I can only get about 330mv to set the throttle stop I should have 378mv here.Please take me by the hand + take me through this====I onl;y bite GUZZI'S nothing else,unlike my dog,thats a story for some other time!!!    Thank you

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe remove the TPS and replace it rotated on the drive blade of the throttle body? (Not sure which direction of rotation . . .)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fubar guzzi said:

I just finished this post + hit the wrong button so I would guess it's filed into cyberspace??? I'll make this one much shorter===98 EV seems I can't adjust tps to 157mv I only get 133 + run out of space.If I remove one holding screw from the tps I can squeek a little more assuming I settle on 133 I can only get about 330mv to set the throttle stop I should have 378mv here.Please take me by the hand + take me through this====I onl;y bite GUZZI'S nothing else,unlike my dog,thats a story for some other time!!!    Thank you

What voltage do you get with the throttle wide open and set at 133MV closed?

Ciao

Link to post
Share on other sites

Docc.I've tried that + it doesn't work. I'm thinking I'm rotating the tps too much at a time.I've had it set several times before but not this time.The tps should not be rotated to the max(I belive).

Lucky Phil,I'll get back to you in a couple hours

gstallons----- you hit the nail on

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've worked all day on the tps---- I twisted the tps clockwise as far as possible + a little more,I got my 157.3 on the tps---I didn't fair so well with setting the stop screw,I gave it all it was good for but nowhere near the 378 I need. I started engine + found idle to be about 3k---turning left stop screw c/clockwise 4 turns put it close to1200 rpm as idle ----getting it sorted I think I've got it,until I can ride it I won't know for sure if its fixed. Last I checked tps was 220mv----It runs good in the garage I hope I cured the 6mp gallon problem.

       Thank you all for posting + your help

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fubar guzzi said:

I've worked all day on the tps---- I twisted the tps clockwise as far as possible + a little more,I got my 157.3 on the tps---I didn't fair so well with setting the stop screw,I gave it all it was good for but nowhere near the 378 I need. I started engine + found idle to be about 3k---turning left stop screw c/clockwise 4 turns put it close to1200 rpm as idle ----getting it sorted I think I've got it,until I can ride it I won't know for sure if its fixed. Last I checked tps was 220mv----It runs good in the garage I hope I cured the 6mp gallon problem.

       Thank you all for posting + your help

You need to check the TPS reading at full throttle. It should read around 4.7- 4.9 volts. If its not then combined with the stop voltage issue you have a TPS problem. If its reading low at WOT then the engine will be lean at full throttle and things will also not be good low down either. So basically you have the r/h throttle blade disconnected from the left, the r/h idle stop screw if fitted wound out, the fast idle lever fully clear of the r/h throttle mechanism and the r/h throttle blade fully closed ( I usually tie it back gently with a cable tie so it stays fully closed against the throttle body bore and doesnt move with the TPS) You have all this and you can't achieve 157mv's is this correct? 

How many miles on the bike?

Ciao

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Phil youv"e got it!!!  At wot I get o.ooov???? or about330mv ???---- I can adjust the stop screw cept the idle is very high(3000). Took it out today (2 miles)it ran ok,have to wait for warmer weather to road test----Now the tps is clockwise max +,seems to me it should be the other way about 10mm from the end going counter clock wise------confused yet???? thanks for your help

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fubar guzzi said:

Yes Phil youv"e got it!!!  At wot I get o.ooov???? or about330mv ???---- I can adjust the stop screw cept the idle is very high(3000). Took it out today (2 miles)it ran ok,have to wait for warmer weather to road test----Now the tps is clockwise max +,seems to me it should be the other way about 10mm from the end going counter clock wise------confused yet???? thanks for your help

Sounds to me like you may be checking the wrong TPS wires. I believe WOT that gives zero voltage is because you are checking the voltage between the 5v input and the earth instead of the variable output and the earth. So at idle you will have your 330mv and as you open the throttle the voltage will decrease instead of increase. If this is happening you are checking the wrong wires. If that's not the issue then you have a bum TPS.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the EV11 but the wiring colours are different between the earlier and later v11's and with the earlier PF09 TPS my bike uses the sensor or output wire isn't the centre pin as it is with the PF03 TPS's.

Ciao 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, docc said:

I recall the TPS should be 490-500 mV WOT?

Looking like, as Lucky Phil has said, " . . . you have a TPS problem."

 

No docc around 4.9-5.0 volts not 490-500MV. The reference voltage is 5V and full travel one way ( towards throttle closed) will be zeroish and fully the other way ( WOT) will be around zero resistance so 5 volts/ish.

Ciao 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well boys,now are we havin fun!!!  The tps is new with two miles on it----the one I replaced was nine months old with about 20 mi. on it,the 2 I bought came from ca cycle the other 3 came with the bike from the po,of those 1 was the Davidson type+ one I took apart just to see how easy it is to do-----trust me on this one it is very difficult to take apart. I sent to England for the tps cable testing harness,I think it would be difficult to screw that up ! My lovely ev has42000 mi.,of witch I did 10,000 myself,+I would guess was brokedown 12 times minimum (I've owned this magnificent machine 26 months .

Tomorrow I will start over as I have done many times before,starting with oil change,probably # 12 with about 30 mi. of riding. Fuel finds its way into the oil + that isn't good,(I'm talking a quart/quart +half over full).

As always thank"s for the advise-----I try all tips

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fubar guzzi said:

Well boys,now are we havin fun!!!  The tps is new with two miles on it----the one I replaced was nine months old with about 20 mi. on it,the 2 I bought came from ca cycle the other 3 came with the bike from the po,of those 1 was the Davidson type+ one I took apart just to see how easy it is to do-----trust me on this one it is very difficult to take apart. I sent to England for the tps cable testing harness,I think it would be difficult to screw that up ! My lovely ev has42000 mi.,of witch I did 10,000 myself,+I would guess was brokedown 12 times minimum (I've owned this magnificent machine 26 months .

Tomorrow I will start over as I have done many times before,starting with oil change,probably # 12 with about 30 mi. of riding. Fuel finds its way into the oil + that isn't good,(I'm talking a quart/quart +half over full).

As always thank"s for the advise-----I try all tips

Ok, all information that should have been revealed from the start. Some people don't use a cable adaptor but spike the wires. So we have one bike with what now appears to be 5 TPS sensors all of which could have been fitted at some time in the past. Is this right?  

Ciao

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...