water in oil pan, washed it while running

Hello Guzzi riders, 

Over the last weekend I washed my V11 Lemans while it was running.  I checked the oil afterwards and found that it was full of water. I flushed the oil system 4 times with fresh oil and feel like I'm back to square one. Expensive oil change. 

The wash was with standard garden hose. I was careful to not spray top of engine, and tops of cylinders. I did gently rinse off throttle bodies. 

At no time did the bike loose RPM or stutter during the wash. 

Has anyone had their bike ingest water like this before? I hope that if I ride in the rain it will not ingest water. 

Tomas Grim

San Jose, CA 

Welcome, Tomas!

If the bike didn't stutter, the water did not enter through the intakes. The three places that come to mind to inspect are the crankcase vent hose at the rear/top of the engine, distributor block-off plate at the top-right of the engine inboard of the back of the right cylinder, and the dip stick.

Let us know what you find!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tomas said:

Hello Guzzi riders, 

Over the last weekend I washed my V11 Lemans while it was running.  I checked the oil afterwards and found that it was full of water. I flushed the oil system 4 times with fresh oil and feel like I'm back to square one. Expensive oil change. 

The wash was with standard garden hose. I was careful to not spray top of engine, and tops of cylinders. I did gently rinse off throttle bodies. 

At no time did the bike loose RPM or stutter during the wash. 

Has anyone had their bike ingest water like this before? I hope that if I ride in the rain it will not ingest water. 

Tomas Grim

San Jose, CA 

What precisely does "full of water" mean?

Ciao

• Like 1