Tekno bag installation instructions

bsanorton

Just bought my 1st MG, a 2001 V11. Paul has shipped me Tekno bags and brackets to go with the deal. Does anyone have installation instructions?

Will they clear the rear bodywork?      

They do clear. There is a tubular spacer for the front mounting point that some of us have shortened to  bring them in a bit closer. There are two versions of the bags/brackets. Mine are the earlier type without the additional rear cross brace.

No instructions I know of, but lots of discussion and some images. I'll scare some up later this evening for you . . .

So, here's an image of a Tekno beside what my rack looks like with the shortened spacer. Pretty sure the original spacers are about 40mm. Too much stand-off for my tastes. Note the lower mount is on the outside of the passenger peg/ exhaust hanger. I chose this in order to mount the canister as far inboard as possible to narrow the exhaust profile.

gallery_328_223_1217815.jpg

Also, see that the two clamped "stops" are moved all the way forward here as I am not looking to accommodate a pillion. The lower can also be mounted to the inside with the exhaust outboard if you prefer:

IMG_2002.jpg

8 hours ago, docc said:

(...) what my rack looks like with the shortened spacer. Pretty sure the original spacers are about 40mm.

Anyone who can confirm this? I have a set of re-made racks. The PO of these racks had them on for years so they corroded and he had them re-made by a local shop in stainless steel. However, I am fairly confident my top spacer is even longer, like 60 or 80mm. I'll measure tonight.

• Like 1

My cut-off spacers are 23mm plus the 20mm I cut off (yes, of course I saved those pieces twenty years!:oldgit:) plus about 1mm for the saw kerf = 44mm.

So, maybe even 45mm taking into account some measuring and rounding error and the cut-off being slightly out of square?

• Like 1

Soooo, my spacers are 60mm. Always found them long but never considered shortening them, but I have also only used the bag once in a weekend.

• Like 1