power commander 3 usb

kool keef

I am looking for a Dynojet Power Commander 3 for my 2004 V11 powered Triking, so the ecu can be custom remapped on a rolling road.

This is no longer available from Dynojet in the UK, but I have been offered a Power Commander 3 for a 2000/2001 V11.  Does anyone know if there is actually any difference?  Will this suit the later engine and ecu? 

Honestly the best people to ask are Dynojet themselves in my experience.  They know their products and know which product for which bike.  I have a Power Commander on my 2002 V11.  It's been so long since I've touched it, I don't even remember which PC it is.   Once I dialed it in, it's been flawless.

Don't get what you are saying here Pete - explain?

Several years ago I fitted a PC 3 on my V11, which was then set up on a rolling road and the bike has to be ridden to be believed, it is so superior to a standard bike.

The ECU's are now an open book. You can upload and download your, or other people's maps and write them accurately rather than relying on a primitive add-on that will only allow you to adjust a couple of parameters, (Fuel and ignition.)

PC's are unnecessary and outdated tech. Reach out and learn about alternatives. They're better. The world has moved on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kool keef said:

So are you saying the standard ecu can be custom remapped?

Yes. He is.

With a widget and some software you can write new maps to the ecu.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Yes. He is.

With a widget and some software you can write new maps to the ecu.

Not even with 'A widget'. With a laptop and some freeware. The Guzzidiag suite of tools and Tunerpro.

I recall hearing that if the stock ECU is remapped, eventually over time it will restore itself to the factory settings. I don’t remember the source for this nor the details, and I may be misremembering anyway as this was when I first got my bike. But is this factual, and if so what happens and how does one maintain for it?

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

I recall hearing that if the stock ECU is remapped, eventually over time it will restore itself to the factory settings. I don’t remember the source for this nor the details, and I may be misremembering anyway as this was when I first got my bike. But is this factual, and if so what happens and how does one maintain for it?

You're hearing/remembering wrong. Complete rubbish

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kool keef said:

So are you saying the standard ecu can be custom remapped?

Yes. Look at the bottom of this page from one of my projects for a small taste of what you can do. Guzzidiag and tunerpro are your tools for full access. You will need to commit to learning something new if you haven't done efi tuning before but you can use the programs to tune just like you did with carbs except better. 

Here's a good starting point for your learning experience. Also check the How to section here for Guzzidiag lessons.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

Anyone wanting to step back in time and start afresh with a Power commander is foolish when Guzzidiag and Tunerpro is available, Free and superior by a factor of about 10.

Ciao  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kane said:

I think you are confusing remapping with re-setting the self learning parameters, (Fuel trims.) on a machine with closed loop capability. If the system incorporates a narrow band lambda sensor then, at certain throttle openings and engine speeds, the ecu will crudely change the fuel delivery to try and achieve whatever its target AFR is. If you re-set the self learning parameters, (Clear the trims.) it takes the fuel settings back to a factory baseline and from here, (Unless you turn off the lambda input.) it will start to re-trim the fuel again until it achieves that target AFR in the closed loop area.

This is one of those things that causes people to think, wrongly, that "Modern engines are mapped up lean to meet emissions regulations." And generally results in many 'Tuners' turning off the lambda input and flinging more fuel at the map. In fact the opposite is generally true. Most of the base maps are almost universally rich and depend on the lambda input pulling fuel out of the map in the closed loop area, (Hence the term 'Trimming' one assumes?).

If the lambda input is turned off the base map tends to be overly rich all the way through and it is this that foxes many into believing that the bike is now running optimally and it's just the evil government trying to destroy people's fun. In fact the bike will still be running sub optimally but the last thing you will generally want to do is add MORE fuel. Using wide band sensors and decent logging equipment it is possible to record exactly what is happening to the AFR at all engine speeds and loadings and build a map to suit.

Also, unlike a PC, using a programme like Tunerpro allows you access to a lot more than simple fuel and spark, there are numerous correction tables that allow changes to be made to optimise performance in areas like engine temperature, air pressure, air temperature etc.

My knowledge and understanding is very basic. I'm lucky enough to know people a lot more talented than I who I can glean assistance from when I need to. The most important thing is not to fall into the trap of believing the old wives tales about mixtures being lean and just flinging more fuel at the map. Do that and you simply end up with a soot-spewing overfuelling munter that will wear itself out in double-quick time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, pete roper said:

I think you are confusing remapping with re-setting the self learning parameters, (Fuel trims.) on a machine with closed loop capability. If the system incorporates a narrow band lambda sensor then, at certain throttle openings and engine speeds, the ecu will crudely change the fuel delivery to try and achieve whatever its target AFR is. If you re-set the self learning parameters, (Clear the trims.) it takes the fuel settings back to a factory baseline and from here, (Unless you turn off the lambda input.) it will start to re-trim the fuel again until it achieves that target AFR in the closed loop area.

This is one of those things that causes people to think, wrongly, that "Modern engines are mapped up lean to meet emissions regulations." And generally results in many 'Tuners' turning off the lambda input and flinging more fuel at the map. In fact the opposite is generally true. Most of the base maps are almost universally rich and depend on the lambda input pulling fuel out of the map in the closed loop area, (Hence the term 'Trimming' one assumes?).

If the lambda input is turned off the base map tends to be overly rich all the way through and it is this that foxes many into believing that the bike is now running optimally and it's just the evil government trying to destroy people's fun. In fact the bike will still be running sub optimally but the last thing you will generally want to do is add MORE fuel. Using wide band sensors and decent logging equipment it is possible to record exactly what is happening to the AFR at all engine speeds and loadings and build a map to suit.

Also, unlike a PC, using a programme like Tunerpro allows you access to a lot more than simple fuel and spark, there are numerous correction tables that allow changes to be made to optimise performance in areas like engine temperature, air pressure, air temperature etc.

My knowledge and understanding is very basic. I'm lucky enough to know people a lot more talented than I who I can glean assistance from when I need to. The most important thing is not to fall into the trap of believing the old wives tales about mixtures being lean and just flinging more fuel at the map. Do that and you simply end up with a soot-spewing overfuelling munter that will wear itself out in double-quick time.

Exactly Pete. Brad Black did the base map for my bike with a Centy map from a 16M to a base 15M V11 map. It was OKish when at operating temp but hard to start and warm up and a few other issues. I was subsequently given 4 pretty much std Centy .bin files from Karsten in Germany and Will Creedon in the states and I could see why. Brad had simply transposed the fuel, ignition and offset maps straight to the std base V11 maps but left the engine temp and OAT break points as per the std V11 map. This didn't work. The Daytona/Centy engine requires totally different fuel and ignition trimming during the warmup process and also during cranking the fuel requirements are very different. So with Tunerpro and Guzzidiag I changed all these break points to make the bike easy to start and carburate nicely esp during warm up. It starts instantly now and idles at 1200 rpm all the way to 90 deg C engine temp. I also adjusted the map to cure the slight popping on the overrun at 3000rpm plus a few other tweaks. So accessible, so good so easy. I appreciate that at one point in time the Powercommander system was all that was available along with those horrid Lambda trimmer things but Guzzidiag and Tunerpro made them all obsolete as did Ducatidiag and several others.

Ciao     

• Like 2