Lemans rear wheel

Bob LeClair

I noticed when changing the rear wheel, that it spins easier when the axle nut is loose, and is stiffer to turn when torqued down. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something during reassembly? It looks like I have everything in the proper place, according to the parts diagram. 

If it was ok before you took it apart then either a spacer is missing or in the wrong place..thats all it can be....

1 minute ago, KINDOY2 said:

If it was ok before you took it apart then either a spacer is missing or in the wrong place..thats all it can be....

Sounds a bit that way although it could also be rear brake related so as the swingarm pulls in slightly the brake drags. Remove the caliper from the plate or pull the pads and see what happens.

Ciao

That's what I was thinking too, I don't know the Tonti frame's ins and out that well.

With the Sfida which is Magni's take on the Tonti, there is a spacer and failing to install it or putting it in the wrong place does exactly that

From my maintenance log:

For future reference on brake howl, rear brake side bearing problems, the rear spacer is 113.2mm. Some were short by 1mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, Bob LeClair said:

I noticed when changing the rear wheel, that it spins easier when the axle nut is loose, and is stiffer to turn when torqued down. Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something during reassembly? It looks like I have everything in the proper place, according to the parts diagram. 

After removal and replacement it appears okay, no noticeable drag tight or loose. 

This is a great place. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:49 AM, Chuck said:

From my maintenance log:

For future reference on brake howl, rear brake side bearing problems, the rear spacer is 113.2mm. Some were short by 1mm.

Hey Chuck tks very much for posting the specs for this issue.

I had looked at a local V11Lemans for sale with new wheel bearings at low mileage, (under 15K kms), the seller mentioned that some of bikes had incorrectly sized oem wheel spacers and he had to have new correct spacers made up;

I'll definitely be filing this information away in case I need it.

Tks

On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, fotoguzzi said:

Hey Foto,    I had read that post initially by Mike on the p[roper rear wheel assembly technique, but lost track of it before I filed it.

Tks for providing the link, I've got it filed away properly now.