5 ground connectors to the negative Odyssey terminal, really?

bsanorton

As I'm reconnecting my battery at 1st I was annoyed that I had to get 4 positive connectors back on the the positive terminal, then I realized there are 5 on the ground terminal.

Ok, one is the main ground and one is the pigtail battery tender, what are the other 3 and is that a normal count?    

Negatives: #1 (big one) for the main ground to the back of the gearbox, #2 for the fuel/ignition harness, #3 for the secondary harness (lights, start, charge, etc).

My other two are for an accessory plug and a GPS. I believe there are those who have grounded their regulator back to the battery (my R/R case is grounded to the timing chest).

@bsanorton, can you trace the grounds that travel outside the two factory harnesses? Look to see if there are two ring terminals on the regulator case.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my 2004 Naked that is bone stock, save the more user friendly battery terminal adapters I added, showing 4 and 4 leads off the terminals, FWIW.  Don't ask me what they all are!  :huh2:

1713662535_KerR9xr1.jpg.98e81bf96a18e5e9ab830aedee551352[1].jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nihontochicken said:

Here is a pic of my 2004 Naked that is bone stock, save the more user friendly battery terminal adapters I added, showing 4 and 4 leads off the terminals, FWIW.  Don't ask me what they all are!  :huh2:

4 + 4= #1 Main cables, #2 Fuel/Ignition harness, #3 Lighting/starting/charging harness (yes, two completely separate harnesses from the factory!), #4: something added for power access (charging or accessory power).

#5? Likely a regulator ground (second ring terminal seen on the regulator case) or a second accessory (like a GPS).

That ends up being a lot of ring terminals on the battery and a formula for corrosion and loosening. The reason some of us added junction blocks (which can also corrode and loosen!) . . .

IMG_3349.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nihontochicken said:

I like the terminal adapters, where can I get some, Odyssey?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nihontochicken said:

thank you, and the lowest from amazon was $18. Your listings are the lowest, thanks!

• Like 1

I saw some pure copper commemorative coins about the size of a silver dollar for a dollar. Thought, "hmmm, I'm tired of fighting those stupid connections.. made a couple of angled brackets. Cheap. (Guzzi content) :D

IMG_20200220_154217153.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

I saw some pure copper commemorative coins about the size of a silver dollar for a dollar. Thought, "hmmm, I'm tired of fighting those stupid connections.. made a couple of angled brackets. Cheap. (Guzzi content) :D

IMG_20200220_154217153.jpg

Do the connectors/cap screws contact the seat base Chuck?

Ciao

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

That would be pretty exciting..

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Do the connectors/cap screws contact the seat base Chuck?

Ciao

Let's hope not! I just ordered the L brackets, but got the ones that look a little beefier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-Battery-Copper-L-Adapter-Terminal-Brackets-Kit-Yamaha-Rhino-BMW/401458934022?hash=item5d78d13106:g:tjQAAOSw9a9gXRy6&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

That would be pretty exciting..

Well not really, the base is plastic. It's a very tight fit the base clearance on these things esp the first version of the seat on the early bikes. Any contact marks on the seat base? I might consider this mod myself if the clearance is there.

Ciao  

• Like 2