Jump to content
IGNORED

5 ground connectors to the negative Odyssey terminal, really?


bsanorton
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well not really, the base is plastic. It's a very tight fit the base clearance on these things esp the first version of the seat on the early bikes. Any contact marks on the seat base? I might consider this mod myself if the clearance is there.

Ciao  

That's a great observation and question. And caution for those who have done modification this to inspect their seat base for fouling. I have had to relieve my seat base for several clearance issues and know others have, as well. Simple enough with a Dremel, sometimes replacing polymer panels to cover the underside of any exposed foam.

Definitely do not want our seat bases sitting on our battery terminals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well not really, the base is plastic. It's a very tight fit the base clearance on these things esp the first version of the seat on the early bikes. Any contact marks on the seat base? I might consider this mod myself if the clearance is there.

Ciao  

I'm pretty careful about that kind of stuff.. but I went out and got my modeling clay. Unfortunately, it's gone missing :rolleyes: but it *appears* to have plenty of clearance. Plastic or not, pressure on those posts would not be a good thing..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I'm pretty careful about that kind of stuff.. but I went out and got my modeling clay. Unfortunately, it's gone missing :rolleyes: but it *appears* to have plenty of clearance. Plastic or not, pressure on those posts would not be a good thing..

Ok thanks Chuck. I was very surprised at how tight the original base was on my bike. I made a simple aluminium extension strap so the runner battery strap wasn't pulled so tight and that wouldn't allow the seat to clip down because the metal ring on the rubber strap now sat flat on the battery top, sheez. I tried my later seat and it definitly has more under seat clearance to things and a simpler cleaner detail design.

Ciao 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ok thanks Chuck. I was very surprised at how tight the original base was on my bike. I made a simple aluminium extension strap so the runner battery strap wasn't pulled so tight and that wouldn't allow the seat to clip down because the metal ring on the rubber strap now sat flat on the battery top, sheez. I tried my later seat and it definitely has more under seat clearance to things and a simpler cleaner detail design.

Ciao 

I remember relieving a ridge on my original seat pan because it was cutting the battery strap. I bought a second hand seat later and the PO had cut out the entire battery area to the exposed foam (makes the seat pan pretty flimsy).

My solution to the seat pressing the battery was to attach the battery basket to the bottom of the subframe at the front, gaining maybe 3mm to 5mm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, docc said:

I remember relieving a ridge on my original seat pan because it was cutting the battery strap. I bought a second hand seat later and the PO had cut out the entire battery area to the exposed foam (makes the seat pan pretty flimsy).

My solution to the seat pressing the battery was to attach the battery basket to the bottom of the subframe at the front, gaining maybe 3mm to 5mm.

Good idea docc, might try that next time I have the battery out.

Ciao

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Good idea docc, might try that next time I have the battery out.

Ciao

A couple things made me nervous about making that change. One was shock clearance (it's tight down there!) . . .

IMG_3698.jpg

The other was the nuts loosening and the bolts dropping out, then the battery and basket dropping onto the shock sending me halfway to a bad day. Pretty sure I either used NyLoc nuts or LocTite or both. :blink:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure I learned this set-up from :notworthy: Andy (along with a boat load of other stuff . . .).

Okay, I remember now that the bolts screw up through the threaded nuts welded to the underside of the subframe. I was still nervous about them loosening and topped them with flange nuts. The bolts are too short to fully engage the "locking" nuts, so I drenched them in blue LocTite. Like Andy, been there > a long time < . . .

I just measured and this drops the front of the battery basket 0.360"/ ~9mm (almost 3/8"!) because of the thickness of the basket metal plus the thickness of the subframe plate and the thickness of the welded nuts underneath) . . .

IMG_0455.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, docc said:

I remember relieving a ridge on my original seat pan because it was cutting the battery strap. I bought a second hand seat later and the PO had cut out the entire battery area to the exposed foam (makes the seat pan pretty flimsy).

My solution to the seat pressing the battery was to attach the battery basket to the bottom of the subframe at the front, gaining maybe 3mm to 5mm.

I did the same docc, and got a bit more by bending the tab some

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...