Luggage rack - what am I missing?

bsanorton

I had one on my Scura when I bought it but removed it and honestly I cant remember how it was mounted but I know it was NOT like that.....I don't think your missing anything but the proper fastners..Hopefully some of the others who have mounted tis type of rack will chime in ...

• Like 1

Just now, KINDOY2 said:

I think you have the brackets backward and the two "raised" holes go one the backs of the pillion mounts..:huh2:..ANYONE?

• Like 1

yes reverse the brackets so the 2 reinforced mounting holes are forward. They attach to the muffler hanger frame mounting points. Install those first. You'll need longer bolts as I recall to get through everything. I had to remove the rear seat cowel to not damage it getting the bolts in/out. Once the brackets are on, attach rack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOL, yes you are right Paul. Must have been bolted on that way for easier shipping. Anybody got a good picture  or instructions of how it's attached to the inside rider peg brackets?

also.... trying to recall as it's been awhile since install/removal .... the brackets curve mount as a 'frown' as apposed to a smile. The raised bits on the bracket is a spacer and goes inside the frame mount for the muff hanger, onto the longer bolts you've installed. need lock nuts to secure brackets.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, footgoose said:

yes reverse the brackets so the 2 reinforced mounting holes are forward. They attach to the muffler hanger frame mounting points. Install those first. You'll need longer bolts as I recall to get through everything. I had to remove the rear seat cowel to not damage it getting the bolts in/out. Once the brackets are on, attach rack.

Ditto on removing the cowl to avoid scratching..they scratch easilyand that one has/had no scratches ( not that difficult to remove like 6 easy access bolts)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bsanorton said:

Received a luggage rack today. Looks like I'm missing something from the frame that it mounts to. Can someone advise?

Here's some pictures of  the mounts on my bike. You can see a bit of paint blistering where I ground some clearance on the mounts for something nearby.

Excuse the grime.  I've always wondered what Docc does to keep his bike looking so nice? :unsure: Maybe he can share the secret:oldgit:

Inside Far.jpg

Inside Near.jpg

Outside.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

Here's some pictures of  the mounts on my bike. You can see a bit of paint blistering where I ground some clearance on the mounts for something nearby.

Excuse the grime.  I've always wondered what Docc does to keep his bike looking so nice? :unsure: Maybe he can share the secret:oldgit:

Oh, easy! You just need to get all those pesky extra parts out of the way to get the Q-Tips into the tight spots . . .
IMG_2583.JPG.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 3/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, docc said:

Oh, easy! You just need to get all those pesky extra parts out of the way to get the Q-Tips into the tight spots . . .
IMG_2583.JPG.jpeg

I like that edged tray and support stand setup docc, just what I need to keep from loosing all those "roll away" parts.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Although I don't remember the specifications on this rack from when I had one many years ago, it is wise to check the maximum load as I recall it seemed to be pretty limited, probably due to the extreme cantilevered mounting.  I think there was a decal on the rack itself noting the maximum weight.

One would hate to bend, break, or scratch something if it collapsed under load, or lose your cargo.

• Like 1

3 kg is the recommendation on overall weight for this configuration.  One other item I found useful was to get slightly longer screws to get more purchase on the mounting.  Carrying a rear tail bag with a few essential goodies makes for a nice setup.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1