Shift lever bolt stuck

Bob LeClair

2002 V11 Lemans, wanted to clean and lube the shift lever bushings as part of general servicing while the swingarm is off. The bolt spins but won't come out. The head protrudes about 3.5mm from the pork chop and won't go in further. Tried to tap it out with a brass mallet, no movement in either direction. I've put liquid wrench on the bolt and lever, no help. The shifter moves up and down okay, a little wobble at the inside end but no bind or stiffness. Any suggestions, or just leave it alone? I hate the idea of just beating on it until it's loose or breaking something. 

Yeah, the tension on the pivot is adjusted with the bolt into the subframe so it moves freely, but without excessive play. Then the lock nut secures the pivot bolt position. Sometimes, it helps to add a shim between the shift lever and the subframe tab to get a smooth action without the lever twisting on the stroke. Part of tuning the external shift mechanism . . .

DSCN3926.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, docc said:

Yeah, the tension on the pivot is adjusted with the bolt into the subframe so it moves freely, but without excessive play. Then the lock nut secures the pivot bolt position. Sometimes, it helps to add a shim between the shift lever and the subframe tab to get a smooth action without the lever twisting on the stroke. Part of tuning the external shift mechanism . . .

DSCN3926.jpg

Little to no lateral play, no room for a washer, but now it's smooth with very little slop. Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

Just an addendum for others also fettling their shifter, the lock nuts on the Heim/rose joints on the connecting shaft have been known to loosen, as well as the pinch bolt on the arm on the gearbox shaft. Adjust the rod length so the arms are parallel and check that the lever downstroke does not foul the frame sidechop in any gear (no just first).

DSCN1241.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, docc said:

Part of tuning the external shift mechanism . . .

Guzzi: the Stradivarius of shift mechanisms.

• Haha 1

This is what our Rube Goldberg V11 sidestand is for: to make the shifter seem positively simple and sensible. :blink:

I suppose, in all fairness, rearset footpegs have always necessitated creative shift mechanisms . . .

2 hours ago, docc said:

This is what our Rube Goldberg V11 sidestand is for: to make the shifter seem positively simple and sensible. :blink:

I suppose, in all fairness, rearset footpegs have always necessitated creative shift mechanisms . . .

Truer words..... as they say . I had to cover both on mine with a Panigale sidestand  and extended pegs and shifter so I would fit comfortably. All reversible if need be

Paul B:bier:

20210328_130734.jpg

20210328_130803.jpg

• Like 1