1st real ride, 1st breakdown. Battery drained

bsanorton

57 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Well, that's a relief. I didn't realize it came from a forum guy.. no offense intended.

Appreciate that Chuck..

• Like 1

This really is a good reminder to inspect that 30 amp fuse regularly. They are known to melt, char, or even burn off a blade without "blowing" the fuse itself. The consensus has been the fuse connections are an electrical "choke point" for the charge amperage and prone to excessive heat. I struggled with this for so long before I converted to an aircraft grade circuit breaker. This makes it a *snap* to disconnect for charging sessions.

I am also operating under the theory that keeping the PC545 "conditioned," and the regulator grounded to the engine, gives the V11 charging system less need to push 20-25 amps back to the battery. Expecting our V11 charging system to bring a hefty PC545 back up from 12.5 volts (50%!) may be expecting too much; and adds up to a formula for charging system failures, IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, docc said:

Simple enough, then! Back in with fuse and do the voltage check that Lucky Phil posted at about 2500 rpm looking for 13.8-14.2 volts.

FWIW, I always disconnect my regulator from the battery when charging. As I recall, EME (where I get my regulators) emphasizes this procedure.

Success! Got the correct voltage check at rpm's. Took her for a nice 20 minute ride yesterday afternoon and all looks good so far. Battery reading 12.9 this morning about 12 hours sitting.    

• Like 3

10 hours ago, docc said:

This really is a good reminder to inspect that 30 amp fuse regularly. They are known to melt, char, or even burn off a blade without "blowing" the fuse itself. The consensus has been the fuse connections are an electrical "choke point" for the charge amperage and prone to excessive heat. I struggled with this for so long before I converted to an aircraft grade circuit breaker. This makes it a *snap* to disconnect for charging sessions.

I am also operating under the theory that keeping the PC545 "conditioned," and the regulator grounded to the engine, gives the V11 charging system less need to push 20-25 amps back to the battery. Expecting our V11 charging system to bring a hefty PC545 back up from 12.5 volts (50%!) may be expecting too much; and adds up to a formula for charging system failures, IMO.

i have been reading your older thread on this Doc, thank you good stuff. Just a question. Are you saying we would be better off with a standard battery instead of the Odyssey to avoid the 'meltdown'?

3 hours ago, bsanorton said:

i have been reading your older thread on this Doc, thank you good stuff. Just a question. Are you saying we would be better off with a standard battery instead of the Odyssey to avoid the 'meltdown'?

No, I'm a dedicated PC545 devotee. My theory, that I practice, is 1) since the PC545 takes significant amperage to charge, and 2) the V11 has some weaknesses in its charging system (regulator diodes, vulnerable 30 amp fuse, stator wires), I propose it is Best Practice to keep the Odyssey PC545 fully and correctly conditioned with approved external chargers/method to minimize strain on the charging system. I would not leave on my Sport with the battery under 12.65 volts without conditioning it.

Some find it too much of a hassle, but I prefer to avoid the otherwise inevitable major hassle of the roadside variety. :o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or, you can do a small job with another regulator, feeding 14.73 V idling, directly to the battery. Then you can forget about the 30amp fuse.
Cheers Tom 08c05df818c6ad734a87d3eec0809a1a.jpg257ede961835947cd4feb1bfe8894ff7.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

The "redline" for an Odyssey is 15V.

This is true, yet they publish the charging range as 14.2-14.7.  Once the battery reaches a 100% state of charge, the voltage can be tapered to 13.5-13.8. While correct external chargers will do that, our V11 regulators are fixed voltage (should be 14.2, IIRC).

• Like 1

Phil, it Don’t exceed 14.8V.

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

First time Odyssey here, says 0121 on it, jan 21. 12.96 V delivered. Dropped voltage a bit, and charged with 7amp CTEK. 5days 13.03V - 13.00V. Will check that my charging system can keep up with the Odyssey. $ 272,so.
Cheers Tom. 79323e02169041ec2c62033b5c0ea46b.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, Tomchri said:

Or, you can do a small job with another regulator, feeding 14.73 V idling, directly to the battery. Then you can forget about the 30amp fuse.
Cheers Tom 08c05df818c6ad734a87d3eec0809a1a.jpg257ede961835947cd4feb1bfe8894ff7.jpg

6 hours ago, Tomchri said:

First time Odyssey here, says 0121 on it, jan 21. 12.96 V delivered. Dropped voltage a bit, and charged with 7amp CTEK. 5days 13.03V - 13.00V. Will check that my charging system can keep up with the Odyssey. $ 272,so.
Cheers Tom. 79323e02169041ec2c62033b5c0ea46b.jpg

Different batteries shown. While the Odyssey will probably tolerate a constant 14.7 charge, that EXIDE? I would be watching for signs of overpressure, vapor hazing. Acidic battery puke is an ugly thing :vomit:

19 hours ago, docc said:

Different batteries shown. While the Odyssey will probably tolerate a constant 14.7 charge, that EXIDE? I would be watching for signs of overpressure, vapor hazing. Acidic battery puke is an ugly thing :vomit:

Ugly is bad. AGM Exide can handle 14.8 V, prooved 2 seasons,  but it drops the V when battery is full, of course  :rasta:

Cheers tom.                             

• Like 1