Jump to content
IGNORED

1st real ride, 1st breakdown. Battery drained


bsanorton
 Share

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Well, that's a relief. I didn't realize it came from a forum guy.. no offense intended.

Appreciate that Chuck..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This really is a good reminder to inspect that 30 amp fuse regularly. They are known to melt, char, or even burn off a blade without "blowing" the fuse itself. The consensus has been the fuse connections are an electrical "choke point" for the charge amperage and prone to excessive heat. I struggled with this for so long before I converted to an aircraft grade circuit breaker. This makes it a *snap* to disconnect for charging sessions.

I am also operating under the theory that keeping the PC545 "conditioned," and the regulator grounded to the engine, gives the V11 charging system less need to push 20-25 amps back to the battery. Expecting our V11 charging system to bring a hefty PC545 back up from 12.5 volts (50%!) may be expecting too much; and adds up to a formula for charging system failures, IMO.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, docc said:

Simple enough, then! Back in with fuse and do the voltage check that Lucky Phil posted at about 2500 rpm looking for 13.8-14.2 volts.

FWIW, I always disconnect my regulator from the battery when charging. As I recall, EME (where I get my regulators) emphasizes this procedure.

Success! Got the correct voltage check at rpm's. Took her for a nice 20 minute ride yesterday afternoon and all looks good so far. Battery reading 12.9 this morning about 12 hours sitting.    

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, docc said:

This really is a good reminder to inspect that 30 amp fuse regularly. They are known to melt, char, or even burn off a blade without "blowing" the fuse itself. The consensus has been the fuse connections are an electrical "choke point" for the charge amperage and prone to excessive heat. I struggled with this for so long before I converted to an aircraft grade circuit breaker. This makes it a *snap* to disconnect for charging sessions.

I am also operating under the theory that keeping the PC545 "conditioned," and the regulator grounded to the engine, gives the V11 charging system less need to push 20-25 amps back to the battery. Expecting our V11 charging system to bring a hefty PC545 back up from 12.5 volts (50%!) may be expecting too much; and adds up to a formula for charging system failures, IMO.

 

i have been reading your older thread on this Doc, thank you good stuff. Just a question. Are you saying we would be better off with a standard battery instead of the Odyssey to avoid the 'meltdown'?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bsanorton said:

i have been reading your older thread on this Doc, thank you good stuff. Just a question. Are you saying we would be better off with a standard battery instead of the Odyssey to avoid the 'meltdown'?

No, I'm a dedicated PC545 devotee. My theory, that I practice, is 1) since the PC545 takes significant amperage to charge, and 2) the V11 has some weaknesses in its charging system (regulator diodes, vulnerable 30 amp fuse, stator wires), I propose it is Best Practice to keep the Odyssey PC545 fully and correctly conditioned with approved external chargers/method to minimize strain on the charging system. I would not leave on my Sport with the battery under 12.65 volts without conditioning it.

Some find it too much of a hassle, but I prefer to avoid the otherwise inevitable major hassle of the roadside variety. :o

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or, you can do a small job with another regulator, feeding 14.73 V idling, directly to the battery. Then you can forget about the 30amp fuse.
Cheers Tom 08c05df818c6ad734a87d3eec0809a1a.jpg257ede961835947cd4feb1bfe8894ff7.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

The "redline" for an Odyssey is 15V.

This is true, yet they publish the charging range as 14.2-14.7.  Once the battery reaches a 100% state of charge, the voltage can be tapered to 13.5-13.8. While correct external chargers will do that, our V11 regulators are fixed voltage (should be 14.2, IIRC).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phil, it Don’t exceed 14.8V.

Cheers tom.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time Odyssey here, says 0121 on it, jan 21. 12.96 V delivered. Dropped voltage a bit, and charged with 7amp CTEK. 5days 13.03V - 13.00V. Will check that my charging system can keep up with the Odyssey. $ 272,so.
Cheers Tom. 79323e02169041ec2c62033b5c0ea46b.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, Tomchri said:

Or, you can do a small job with another regulator, feeding 14.73 V idling, directly to the battery. Then you can forget about the 30amp fuse.
Cheers Tom 08c05df818c6ad734a87d3eec0809a1a.jpg257ede961835947cd4feb1bfe8894ff7.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk
 

 

6 hours ago, Tomchri said:

First time Odyssey here, says 0121 on it, jan 21. 12.96 V delivered. Dropped voltage a bit, and charged with 7amp CTEK. 5days 13.03V - 13.00V. Will check that my charging system can keep up with the Odyssey. $ 272,so.
Cheers Tom. 79323e02169041ec2c62033b5c0ea46b.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk
 

Different batteries shown. While the Odyssey will probably tolerate a constant 14.7 charge, that EXIDE? I would be watching for signs of overpressure, vapor hazing. Acidic battery puke is an ugly thing :vomit:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, docc said:

 

Different batteries shown. While the Odyssey will probably tolerate a constant 14.7 charge, that EXIDE? I would be watching for signs of overpressure, vapor hazing. Acidic battery puke is an ugly thing :vomit:

Ugly is bad. AGM Exide can handle 14.8 V, prooved 2 seasons,  but it drops the V when battery is full, of course  :rasta:

Cheers tom.                             

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...