How Many Miles Are Too Many?

Kane

Hi folks, I am curious what your thoughts are on high mileage bikes. I have an opportunity to acquire a 1978 T3 with 186,000 miles on it. The bike has sat for at least a few years since it’s previous owner passed away, so I would be taking it on faith before changing the fluids and gas and sorting the battery and carbs. The good news is the seller is a good guy, the bike is a one owner bike who apparently was meticulous and caring for his bikes, the bike is original and complete and looks good for a bike that’s been sitting getting dirty for a few years, and I can afford this one. I don’t doubt the claim that the bike ran fine before being put away, but my concern is the 186,000 miles on it. Even with a rebuild or overhaul, can a bike with that much ever be put to ride and feel like a fresher bike?

If the frame is not bent or rusted out, and if the engine block is solid, you can replace everything else and still have an original, but restored bike. It just comes down to the old "time and money" adage. With enough of both, you can get it back to factory fresh. You just have to decide how deep you are willing to get into it.

Alternatively, you could go for a solid performing bike with character and patina. But you're still probably going to replace a lot bearings, seals, and other parts that normally wear out. 

26 minutes ago, Kane said:

Hi folks, I am curious what your thoughts are on high mileage bikes. I have an opportunity to acquire a 1978 T3 with 186,000 miles on it. The bike has sat for at least a few years since it’s previous owner passed away, so I would be taking it on faith before changing the fluids and gas and sorting the battery and carbs. The good news is the seller is a good guy, the bike is a one owner bike who apparently was meticulous and caring for his bikes, the bike is original and complete and looks good for a bike that’s been sitting getting dirty for a few years, and I can afford this one. I don’t doubt the claim that the bike ran fine before being put away, but my concern is the 186,000 miles on it. Even with a rebuild or overhaul, can a bike with that much ever be put to ride and feel like a fresher bike?

It's a lot of miles and 20 years ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought when Guzzi spares were plentiful and cheap but these days I don't know. If you can buy it and it runs ok and you don't want to put any real miles on it then sure. But if you want to get it back to being really nice and ready for another 100K miles then it's a costly and somewhat painful endeavour. Cant remember if the T3 had the chrome bores or not. The original T certainly did as I bought a new set in England in the mid 80's for my BIL's bike. My other Brother in Law (his brother) actually owned a T3 as it happens. 

If it has Chrome bores then they need to be replaced asap.

Ciao

I haven't refreshed my memory :rolleyes: but it says the T3 had chrome bores. If it does, and it has been sitting for years, they are toast.

I have a G5 that has been meticulously maintained with 100,000 miles, and I would ride it anywhere. Sitting for years is death on machines..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, Kane said:

Thanks for your insights, guys.

"Let's ask the other inmates on the ward if we really are crazy." :grin:

(I caught wind the T3 is going to be keeping the Green Muse company . . . :thumbsup: )

Thanks, docc! It’s a done deal, and she went in to the Green Muse’s lair tonight. I think they’ll get along fine, I trust the beginning of a beautiful friendship

I’ll post it in the “Show us yer Tontis!” thread.

cheers!

• Like 1