Need some guidance - V11 Lemans vs V11 Scura vs V11 Sport

bhattman

Hi all! Love this page. What I am trying to discern in buying one of the following

2001 V11 Sport - LoW miles $5K
2001 V11 Scura - $10K lower miles
2005 V11 LeMans - Black (Not sure if Nero Corsa) (55km - $6500)

Which ones has the best long term value? Does post Aprilia purchase 2005 make a difference (good or bad) on the Lemans? Does the lemans name carry weight? I love the look of the Scura the best, but the price seems ways too high.

How would I figure this out? Any help greatly appreciated!

Look at the math . 01 Scura $10k Good looking bike . Ohlins , lots of plus .$10k , no way. 

01 v11 for $5k or 05 for $6500 . 4 years for $1500 . Mmmmm . The 05 would be my choice . 

• Like 2

Canadian dollars, yes?

Even in CAN$, the Scura is an outlier. The Sport and LeMans look priced right depending on their details. What color is the Sport?

Nero has Ohlins and a checkered paint scheme on the tank. Top choice for those in the know.

not sure what year but some Scurra had the exploding clutch, I'd stay away from that. Price way too high.

if the Sport is a Greenie they are the best looking (of all Guzzi's?)  Black "might" be the rarest color.

Answers to the above and further questions.

I agree that the 2005 is newer than 2001, but i have heard there is more value in Pre-Aprilia - aka, 2001 and earlier. Is that true?

The V11 Sport 01 is a silver color - 5,000km (low). Has a bikini fairing and mistral pipes. In good condition overall, except for some engine paint peeling.
The V11 Lemans 2005 is not Nero Corsa, I dont think. The tail only says lemans and not nero corsa. Mileage is 50K - 2005 had the longer wheel base, but is it just as good at 2001s?
The Scura - man its gorgeous and in superb condition and well taken care of and sorted - and I agree, its $10K. Too much. There is one in Vegas, but that is pretty beat up.

$_59.jpeg

159961225_10158258137617736_1528125243530325879_n.jpeg

If you're looking at the same Scura for sale in Canada that I have recently seen reposted again(Quebec?), I don't think it's as "sorted" as you think.

I contacted the vendor last year and asked the usual V11 Scura questions, ie shift return spring, Roper plate, relays and the single plate clutch issue, I got the distinct impression the seller either wasn't that familiar with the known issues of his bike or being deliberately vague, neither were confidence inspiring for me.

fwiw good luck and happy shopping

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhattman said:

Answers to the above and further questions.

I agree that the 2005 is newer than 2001, but i have heard there is more value in Pre-Aprilia - aka, 2001 and earlier. Is that true?

The V11 Sport 01 is a silver color. Has a bikini fairing and mistral pipes. In good condition overall, except for some engine paint peeling.
The V11 Lemans 2005 is not Nero Corsa, I dont think. The tail only says lemans and not nero corsa. Mileage is 50K - 2005 had the longer wheel base, but is it just as good at 2001s?
The Scura - man its gorgeous and in superb condition and well taken care of and sorted - and I agree, its $10K. Too much. There is one in Vegas, but that is pretty beat up.

$_59.jpeg

159961225_10158258137617736_1528125243530325879_n.jpeg

Ah! The very desirable, luscious, lusty silver! :grin:  How many kms on the Sport? (Not that 50,000 km is a lot on a sixteen year old motorcycle - better than if has been sitting a great deal (which is "death to machines," as @Chuck says :thumbsup:  )

Ivanno Beggio (Aprilia) actually acquired Moto Guzzi in 2000 (perhaps even late 1999), so no credence to the pre-Aprilia V11 idea. Although the early Sports 1999-2001 were the original mono chromatic (silver, black, or Legnano Green) that the designer (Luciano Marabese) intended. Aprilia then gave us the "mix&match" motifs. The '05 Le Mans is a nice return to the monochromatic scheme and one of the nicest looking V11, IMO.

The early V11 ShortFrame with narrower rear wheel/tire probably takes a little more care setting up the suspension and turn in is a bit quicker. I certainly prefer it for my jack-rabbit, carvey riding style, but the Le Mans would be fine. Open road touring, you might prefer the slightly more "stable" Le Mans.

Most folks would clearly favor one of those two V11 over the other. No preference, @bhattman ?

• Like 1

@docc Thank you! The V11 Sport Silver is 5000km, so its low! 

I honestly haven't ridden either of them. It's all long distance dating right now. So hence don't have a preference. Want to have it in my collection and something worthy of keeping for a long time. Look good, feel good, sound good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Ah! The very desirable, luscious, lusty silver! :grin:  How many kms on the Sport? (Not that 50,000 km is a lot on a sixteen year old motorcycle - better than if has been sitting a great deal (which is "death to machines," as @Chuck says :thumbsup:  )

Ivanno Beggio (Aprilia) actually acquired Moto Guzzi in 2000 (perhaps even late 1999), so no credence to the pre-Aprilia V11 idea. Although the early Sports 1999-2001 were the original mono chromatic (silver, black, or Legnano Green) that the designer (Luciano Marabese) intended. Aprilia then gave us the "mix&match" motifs. The '05 Le Mans is a nice return to the monochromatic scheme and one of the nicest looking V11, IMO.

The early V11 ShortFrame with narrower rear wheel/tire probably takes a little more care setting up the suspension and turn in is a bit quicker. I certainly prefer it for my jack-rabbit, carvey riding style, but the Le Mans would be fine. Open road touring, you might prefer the slightly more "stable" Le Mans.

Most folks would clearly favor one of those two V11 over the other. No preference, @bhattman ?

I heard the Silver Sports were a lot faster, right docc?

• Haha 1

After the short frame bikes they got fat, porky, and ponderous. Real men with big balls ride the "short frame". Old codgers tend to go for the fat lardy long frame version.

Ciao  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, bhattman said:

@docc Thank you! The V11 Sport Silver is 5000km, so its low! 

I honestly haven't ridden either of them. It's all long distance dating right now. So hence don't have a preference. Want to have it in my collection and something worthy of keeping for a long time. Look good, feel good, sound good. 

Pretty low resolution pics, but the black Le Mans looks fairly complete and original (aftermarket bar-end weights).  The Sport is missing its sidecovers. Other than the reverse megaphone exhaust (which I like on most  bikes), the reservoir caps, hand levers and head guards have been changed. That sometimes suggests a tip-over or crash damage.

Not sure what it is like to import from the US, but (other than speedo/odo in miles), there is a very fine Rosso Corsa on our classifieds . . .

26 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

After the short frame bikes they got fat, porky, and ponderous. Real men with big balls ride the "short frame". Old codgers tend to go for the fat lardy long frame version.

Ciao  

I always liked riding a short frame...OH!..You mean a MOTORCYCLE!..:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I personally wouldn't consider the Scura you've mentioned. For 10k it want's to be perfect, and that includes a clutch/flywheel upgrade-replacement, low mileage and near new.  ANY seller who is not absolutely forthcoming with relevant info is hiding something. The '01 would be my choice of the other 2. They both are priced near the high end of reasonable IMO.

The Scura with the OEM flywheel still installed is potentially a VERY serious issue! Replacing it yourself is doable (I did mine) but involves $ and a lot of work to separate tranny from engine. $$$$ to have done at the dealer. If the flywheel goes bang while riding, it can take out the motor case and maybe a piece of your leg. No doubt some guys sell their bike to avoid the cost of repair and the possible catastrophe. The aluminum flywheel was installed in 3 models afaik.

2001 Rosso Mandello

2002 Scura

2002 Tenni

• Like 2