Need some guidance - V11 Lemans vs V11 Scura vs V11 Sport

bhattman

4 minutes ago, footgoose said:

I personally wouldn't consider the Scura you've mentioned. For 10k it want's to be perfect, and that includes a clutch/flywheel upgrade-replacement, low mileage and near new.  ANY seller who is not absolutely forthcoming with relevant info is hiding something. The '01 would be my choice of the other 2. They both are priced near the high end of reasonable IMO.

The Scura with the OEM flywheel still installed is potentially a VERY serious issue! Replacing it yourself is doable (I did mine) but involves $ and a lot of work to separate tranny from engine. $$$$ to have done at the dealer. If the flywheel goes bang while riding, it can take out the motor case and maybe a piece of your leg. No doubt some guys sell their bike to avoid the cost of repair and the possible catastrophe. The aluminum flywheel was installed in 3 models afaik.

2001 Rosso Mandello

2002 Scura

2002 Tenni

Can we confirm these are Canadian dollars? In that case the Sport and Le Mans are, what, $4000 and $5200 in US dollars, respectively? Those seem like decent asking prices?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, docc said:

Can we confirm these are Canadian dollars? In that case the Sport and Le Mans are, what, $4000 and $5200 in US dollars, respectively? Those seem like decent asking prices?

yes much better price if Canadian.

57 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

After the short frame bikes they got fat, porky, and ponderous. Real men with big balls ride the "short frame". Old codgers tend to go for the fat lardy long frame version.

Ciao  

Guilty..:oldgit:

• Like 1

@docc, YES, these are canadian dollars. 1.25 Cad / USD. So the $10K Scura would be USD$8K.

Hmm, tip over possible, but the owner has been very diligent and bought from a collector. But that doesnt mean anything. Will check. Trying to upload a better pic of the V11 Lemans. The Exhaust looks upgraded?

$_59 (1).jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bhattman said:

@docc, YES, these are canadian dollars. 1.25 Cad / USD. So the $10K Scura would be USD$8K.

Hmm, tip over possible, but the owner has been very diligent and bought from a collector. But that doesnt mean anything. Will check. Trying to upload a better pic of the V11 Lemans. The Exhaust looks upgraded?

$_59 (1).jpeg

Those are the factory LaFranchoni on the LeMans. Original levers,  Vacuum tube still attached to the intakes, front side reflectors intact. Looks good.

Right, so, a 2005 original-looking LeMans with 31,000 miles for $5200US? Hmmmm . . .

Is there definitely a "5" in the tenth character of the VIN? (2005 models were not many AFAIK.)

• Like 4

I had those reverse cone mufflers and the sound was kind of raspy, not completely bad but gave it a sort of nascar sound. They look the best tho..

cant tell if the Sport has pod filters? That would be a negative for me.

the Lemans looks nice I don't like the can muffler look but not much choice available. And you can go wrong with a black motorcycle for color.

If it were my money and between the 3 I would go 01 Sport. This is why: 

The Scura can be an iffy with the flywheel. If you have no odd rattles or any chatter at high rpms it will be a good one. But for whatever reason a low miles V11 can be a warning. Guzzis don't like to sit. But a Scura is sweet. Kinda why I own one. If the clutch and flywheel are good jump on it. 

The 05 LeMans can be a coin toss. Either a really good one or a really bad one. I know this comment might piss some off but it's my experience. Clocks and electrics.. ITI gauges...🤢 But if it was an 01 or 02...😍😍😍

The 01 Sport seems like a gem. Shorter wheel base? These were pretty solid. Only thing is the different subframe. Just hope you love the seat. Other than that? Great bike. Just the low miles thing. If nothing leaks you should be good.

My 2 pesos..

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 11:04 PM, bhattman said:

Hi all! Love this page. What I am trying to discern in buying one of the following

2001 V11 Sport - LoW miles $5K
2001 V11 Scura - $10K lower miles
2005 V11 LeMans - Black (Not sure if Nero Corsa) (55km - $6500)

Which ones has the best long term value? Does post Aprilia purchase 2005 make a difference (good or bad) on the Lemans? Does the lemans name carry weight? I love the look of the Scura the best, but the price seems ways too high.

How would I figure this out? Any help greatly appreciated!

Next time your in the Valley............... let me know I can show you those V-11 versions in the flesh so to speak.  ;)

Ciao

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, bhattman said:

$_59 (1).jpeg

Hmmm, pretty much the same as my scooter (2004 Naked), minus the fairing.  I feel better now.   ^_^

These bikes like constant maintenance so buy the best one.  The £££’s you’ll save could go toward a re-paint in any colour you like.  Including a lovely dark dark black.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Lucky Phil said:

After the short frame bikes they got fat, porky, and ponderous. Real men with big balls ride the "short frame". Old codgers tend to go for the fat lardy long frame version.

Ciao  

Wisdom. 

That’s great that you have access to three V11s way up there in Calgary. Can you mange to visit all three? I can tell you that the shorter wheel base red frame bikes handle well and feel stable, as least to me with my bike. Mine has a fly screen like the one that you’re considering, and stock bars and pegs, and at 6’2” I find it pretty comfortable for long distance riding. Maybe for touring or rain the LeMans fairing would be nice to have. I have heard that the later longer black frames are stiffer than the earlier red frames.....is that true?

Based on what we see so far, my choice would be the 05 LeMans. It appears all original - I don't see any modifications. With 55,000 kilometers, it's probably not been sitting for long periods, and it should go a lot more Ks.

As for collector value, who knows. But that black beauty could be the last Moto Guzzi LeMans ever made.

On either the LeMans or the silver sport, factor in a new shock. The originals tend to crack the lower mount eye. And a new shock just makes it so much better. If you got the Scura, you'd probably want to service the Ohlins if the previous owner has not.

• Like 1