Starter motor repair

ozstrider23

My bike is a 2001 V11 Le Mans.

Has anybody had any experience with re-gluing the magnets back into the Valeo starter motor? Specifically which adhesive to use.

I've cleaned out the assembly and the magnets, I read on a BMW forum how to place and hold the magnets but getting a  particular adhesive could be a problem.  The BMW forum didn't specify the adhesive but I'm fairly sure it would be an epoxy. 

By the way, my nearest Guzzi dealer is Tom Newell in Brisbane, Australia and, as far as I know, there is only one other Moto Guzzi here in Vanuatu, a '93 Cali.

12 minutes ago, ozstrider23 said:

Has anybody had any experience with re-gluing the magnets back into the Valeo starter motor? Specifically which adhesive to use.

I've cleaned out the assembly and the magnets, I read on a BMW forum how to place and hold the magnets but getting a  particular adhesive could be a problem.  The BMW forum didn't specify the adhesive but I'm fairly sure it would be an epoxy. 

By the way, my nearest Guzzi dealer is Tom Newell in Brisbane, Australia and, as far as I know, there is only one other Moto Guzzi here in Vanuatu, a '93 Cali.

You can from memory buy a decent Chinese repro version for like $60US or something so why bother? Chuck might chime in as I know he's bought one along with others. Check this ebay item 373086095240

Or https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_159&products_id=4893

Ciao

• Like 1

Unfortunately Phil the mail here is practically non-existent and even if it does arrive in country, it has been known to 'go missing'. 

I've checked out eBay etc and would much prefer to get a replacement but waiting 6 months (typically) for mail is a bit beyond a joke, hence the post. 

4 minutes ago, ozstrider23 said:

Unfortunately Phil the mail here is practically non-existent and even if it does arrive in country, it has been known to 'go missing'. 

I've checked out eBay etc and would much prefer to get a replacement but waiting 6 months (typically) for mail is a bit beyond a joke, hence the post. 

Ok well maybe 24 hr Araldite then. There is probably better but if availability is an issue. As an aside I used to maintain Air Vanuatu aircraft a few years back.

Ciao  

Ah, so you understand the mail service. It's worse since the covid issue.

We probably speak similar language. I've been a fixed and rotary wing maintainer, supervisor, logistician and engineer during my working life.  Retired to Vila last year.  

• Like 1

*I have no experience gluing the magnets back into the housing, but if I was going to try it, I'd use my go to metal epoxy.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/metalset-a4/

FWIW, I have a Chinese Valeo on the Mighty Scura and the AeroLario.  Both appear to be OEM quality. Cheap. (Guzzi content) :grin: For the price, I can't be bothered to get dirty overhauling an old starter. :huh2:

1 hour ago, ozstrider23 said:

Hmmm , I would talk to a starter rebuilder or (if there is) a starter forum and see what happens . Also , these things have to be in perfect position when reinstalling them . 

13 minutes ago, Chuck said:

*I have no experience gluing the magnets back into the housing, but if I was going to try it, I'd use my go to metal epoxy.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/metalset-a4/

FWIW, I have a Chinese Valeo on the Mighty Scura and the AeroLario.  Both appear to be OEM quality. Cheap. (Guzzi content) :grin: For the price, I can't be bothered to get dirty overhauling an old starter. :huh2:

Thanks Chuck. I thought about Metalset or J-B Weld. Not sure if they're available here. 

As I wrote before, I'd prefer to get a replacement but I'd like to ride again this year. :bike:

8 minutes ago, gstallons said:

look on Youtube . 3M AU-205 starting motor magnet adhesive . If I knew how to put it on here , I would . 

"Magnet Bonding Adhesive" . . .  Wow, who knew? (besides gstallons . . . :nerd: )

• Like 1

Beware of Step #5: "Oven Cure" to coincide when momma is away on shopping or otherwise distracted from her kitchen . . . :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Looks like brilliant stuff but I bet it costs a gazillion dollars and you need to buy a whole roll. That's the usual scenario.

Ciao

I better get a roll, then. Pretty sure My Sport (and her starter) already heard y'all crowing about this . . . .  won't be far down the VooDoo chain now . . . :blink:

• Like 1