Steering Damper of Choice, and Availability?

Kane

I’ve been commuting regularly now on the V11, and I believe my steering damper has had it. The daily workout seems to have caused it to seep more than usual, and the road grime is caking on. I’m going to remove it tomorrow and give the bike a good cleaning. This is the stock unit and I’m inclined to retire it as I ran it backed off anyway as the bike felt better that way, but the freeways here are filled with rain grooves and various irregularities and I think a better quality steering damper may be a good addition. Most of the references that I’ve found in older posts are hard to find, or in the case of Ohlins seem nonexistent for the V11.
So, what is available now that is good, and what has worked well for you?
My bike is a 2001 red frame V11.

To be big picture objective, this bike would also benefit from a good suspension tune up, and that’s another thing I need to sort out but am a bit clueless about. 

G'day mate

Yeah the standard Bitubo ( I think from memory ) isn't all that flash!

I put a Hyperpro damper on when I had my Suspension done as my std unit was leaking too, it's been bloody good / no issues.

Yep definitely worthwhile upgrading your suspension by the way!!

Cheers Guzzler 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I replaced my leaky BiTubo at about 68,000 miles in August 2009 with a Japanese Shindy (SHIN-juh) standard length/oval body (17-001).  It's nicely made and comes with fresh end joints (ball joints/Heim joints/Rose joints . . . ) that have tiny grease fittings on them.  Only 58,000 miles on it these eleven years, but staying "flash." :sun:

http://www.shindypro.com/ss.html

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

They do look pretty good. How will they mount and work under the steering head mouthing points of the V11?

What say you, guzzler? Did you go with the CSC or RSC version? How about a pic of it mounted on your bike?

• Like 1

I used the Shindy on a past V11 and was happy with it. I would not hesitate to use a Hyperpro. Ohlins dampers were stock on the "special" models that came with Ohlins forks and shocks - so you know the Ohlins will fit easily. The Shindy I installed took a little fussin and cussin - but only a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here’s the nasty old thing — yuk! My bad for not noticing it sooner (dark when I leave and dark when I return, and making hay in between):

F1C2CEAD-04C4-4136-B717-64DA9B16D692.jpeg

So it’s out with the old and in with the new, sometime down the road.

In the meantime, I’m just gonna shake my head!

40E403A6-073C-4FD4-A80F-6B1FA6652695.jpeg

• Haha 1

Sorry mate 

I've just seen this.

I went with RSC as in Doc's photo and it's mounted in same spot as the original!

They do look pretty good I must admit.( I got a black one )

Ha ha now that I can post photos I'll see about posting one!

Might have to wait a wee bit, I've come down with a dose of the lurgy ( flu ) and confined to  bed and sofa at the moment.

Cheers Guzzler 

• Like 2

Actually, here's one I prepared earlier!

You can just see it.

I'll post a better shot when up and about again

Lemon honey tea and getting sorted out on the sofa for the Oz superbikes on tv later on ! Cheers Guzzler DSC00660.JPG 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 5:48 PM, guzzler said:

Sorry mate 

I've just seen this.

I went with RSC as in Doc's photo and it's mounted in same spot as the original!

They do look pretty good I must admit.( I got a black one )

Ha ha now that I can post photos I'll see about posting one!

Might have to wait a wee bit, I've come down with a dose of the lurgy ( flu ) and confined to  bed and sofa at the moment.

Cheers Guzzler 

Hello Guzzler,

Thank you for the info. The BiTubo on my 2000 V11 has started drooling, & wanted the HyperPro upgrade. Most of the info on them mentioned that it would need to be mounted on the upside, not nestled discreetly. Oh, & LOVE the Greenie. There truly isn't anything quite like a V11...

James

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SFTripod said:

Hello Guzzler,

Thank you for the info. The BiTubo on my 2000 V11 has started drooling, & wanted the HyperPro upgrade. Most of the info on them mentioned that it would need to be mounted on the upside, not nestled discreetly. Oh, & LOVE the Greenie. There truly isn't anything quite like a V11...

James

G'day mate

Yep they mount up just like the standard unit !

I've had mine for about 7 years and nearly 50,000 kays without an issue of any sort!

Ha ha cheers James, I love this bike eh.

I've owned some iconic bikes in the past but I can't think of any other bike that I've owned where the magic of owning /riding it is still there after 10 + years and 70,000 kays.

Still look back at it as I walk away after a ride too...

A beautiful madness ha ha 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1