V11 Fuel pump

Cyborg

Been a while since I’ve stopped in and also been a while since I started the V11.  Yesterday, it started without too much fuss after sitting for a year. Once the stale gas worked its way through and the fresh stuff started reaching the injectors, it started to settle down. However... smoke/vapour started curling up from under the tank. Long story short, it looks as though the fuel pump has s#@* the bed. Fuel was gushing out from between the plastic end of the pump and the metal housing, so the orings inside there are done. So the reason for the post.... any suggestions for a replacement pump? OEM or aftermarket? Where to buy one? Any tips, suggestions, what to watch out for etc. would be much appreciated.

There're generic fuel pumps for less than $100 at the auto parts store.  I've lost the cross ref.  You might query the site and see if you can find that info.   I am intending this for bikes with external fuel pumps.  

$55 at MG Cycle 

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2491

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cyborg said:

Been a while since I’ve stopped in and also been a while since I started the V11.  Yesterday, it started without too much fuss after sitting for a year. Once the stale gas worked its way through and the fresh stuff started reaching the injectors, it started to settle down. However... smoke/vapour started curling up from under the tank. Long story short, it looks as though the fuel pump has s#@* the bed. Fuel was gushing out from between the plastic end of the pump and the metal housing, so the orings inside there are done. So the reason for the post.... any suggestions for a replacement pump? OEM or aftermarket? Where to buy one? Any tips, suggestions, what to watch out for etc. would be much appreciated.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1666.htm

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the one from Harper’s. Priced in the middle and they claim it’s quiet. 
Now if I could find a way to remove a 100 lbs off the bike and lower the COG. The V11 seems to have gained weight over the last year. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Cyborg said:

So would installing a sidecar be considered  sacrilegious? 

Hey, it's your V11!

2004-MotoGuzzi-V11Sport-2018-08-31_004.j

• Like 2

By the way..... the idle was higher after installing the pump. Cable has slack and throttle bodies seem to be returning. Doesn’t make sense unless the old pump was barely pushing enough fuel to lift the pressure relief valve.

Not sure about the front end on that Rosso Mandello. I just want a sidehack and don’t even want to mess with the stock front end if possible. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, docc said:

Hey, it's your V11!

2004-MotoGuzzi-V11Sport-2018-08-31_004.j

Too fancy for me... I would prefer something that looks a little more agricultural or maybe one that wouldn’t look out of place in a Mad Max movie.  
The mounting hardware is available.....

22 hours ago, Cyborg said:

So would installing a sidecar be considered  sacrilegious? 

I've considered getting a rig a few times; other than piloting a dead one getting towed off a race track once, I've never ridden a sidecar.

There's a lot of small engineering details that go into making a rig safe and responsive at speed, things can go sideways in a heart beat, it can be a steep learning curve.

I've seen some beautiful looking rigs based on V11 Spine frames, but the consensus from others, that are experienced sidecar builders and riders, is that the Tonti frame based bikes are much better designed to handle the stresses generated, and a more easily adapted platform for sidecar duty.

Buying a well built rig is ALWAYS cheaper and easier than building one.

fwiw ymmv

Good luck

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cyborg said:

Too fancy for me... I would prefer something that looks a little more agricultural or maybe one that wouldn’t look out of place in a Mad Max movie.  
The mounting hardware is available.....

Side hack racers are pretty much all nutters, yah?

SAAB%20passes%20R5%20SURPRISE!.jpg

• Like 2