Relay redux

docc

13 minutes ago, bridge said:

That worked. Thank you Tinknocker. Thank you all for your excellent advice.
Now, my high beam, horn, and tachometer don’t work. The fuses are all OK. It’s a mechanical tach, correct? Where should I start to troubleshoot the high beam and horn?

Awesome on your clutch!! :thumbsup:

The tachometer is electronic. That collection of failures = Relay#2.

Install a full compliment of High Current OMRON, Accept no substitutes. Use Caig DeOxit® on the contacts.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 7:07 PM, docc said:

Awesome on your clutch!! :thumbsup:

The tachometer is electronic. That collection of failures = Relay#2.

Install a full compliment of High Current OMRON, Accept no substitutes. Use Caig DeOxit® on the contacts.

I bought five OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 but they don’t fit. What is the generic relay for the V11 Lemans? 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bridge said:

I bought five OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 but they don’t fit. What is the generic relay for the V11 Lemans? 

That's odd. That is the standardized micro relay configuration used on the V11.

What about them does not fit? Can you post an image?

1 hour ago, docc said:

That's odd. That is the standardized micro relay configuration used on the V11.

What about them does not fit? Can you post an image?

The OMRON replacement relay on the left; original on the right. 

Relay2.jpg

Yeah, that is not the correct relay.  Trying to find the part of the number that specifies the terminal pattern . . .

Correct ones look like these:

IMG_20200804_100145_compress41.jpg

@bridge, where did you source the relays? (Perhaps their picker just goofed?)

When I look at onlinecomponents, the image looks like what you have, but says "Image is representational -see mfr. specs."

Opening the Data Sheet shows the correct terminal configuration:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

17 minutes ago, docc said:

Yeah, that is not the correct relay.  Trying to find the part of the number that specifies the terminal pattern . . .

Correct ones look like these:

IMG_20200804_100145_compress41.jpg

Thanks. I just ordered the Panasonic replacements, which looked correct on the Digi-Key website. Hope this solves all my problems! 

The Panasonic are good relays. Yet, the continuous current rating for the NO contact for Relay#5 is under rated for the load. 

At least one time in your life , listen to the Docc, get the best relays available. Is there any better around ?, bet it woud be mentioned here on the forum.   And your saying your bike were running with those relays, just wondering how they woud fit the base. Just curious I quess. good luck.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

At least one time in your life , listen to the Docc, get the best relays available. Is there any better around ?, bet it woud be mentioned here on the forum.   And your saying your bike were running with those relays, just wondering how they woud fit the base. Just curious I quess. good luck.

Cheers Tom.

That's flattering, but a lot of smart, experienced, and dedicated members contributed to the Best Relay derivation. @Kiwi_Roy, @Ryland3210, Bruce Lawson (R.I.P.), and more than few of us in the Beta Testing Department.

“I have learned throughout my life as a composer

chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions,

not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge.”  - Igor Stravinsky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

@bridge, where did you source the relays? (Perhaps their picker just goofed?)

When I look at onlinecomponents, the image looks like what you have, but says "Image is representational -see mfr. specs."

Opening the Data Sheet shows the correct terminal configuration:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

I had ordered these — looks like the numbers differ — Amazon threw them up as an option and I didn’t double- check. 

OMRON ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS - G8V-1C7T-R-DC12 (2 Pieces)- MICRO AUTOMOTIVE RELAY, SPDT, 12VDC, 20A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J39P7V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P99Z6TAWGP6EACWJZ3Z1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

4 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Just check out Pyro Dan.  He knows.

The Chinese GEI relays Dan has been selling all this time (after he stopped selling Bosch) are only just better than the Tyco, which are the worst ever. Dan's a great guy. But he doesn't "know" the loads on these relays in the V11.  These relays and the loads have been meticulously evaluated by expert contributors.

Running 22.5 amps through a 20 amp NO relay contact? Or 13 amps through a 10 amp NC relay contact?  Just doesn't make sense once one "knows."

YMMV. Carry spares and know how to spot a V11 relay failure. Learn which ones are under-stressed and can be swapped into a heavy load position in a pinch. Just moving them around and hoping for the best is far from ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1