Relay redux

docc

Relays.

How many here on the forum has done the upgrade with an extra relay for starting, 03 and newer bikes ?  What kind of relays were used ?     Did I miss this somewhere ?

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

Gathered replies from an unrelated topic to consolidate here with references to other important relay threads.

The inquiry began when @bridge got his clutch working and posted this question on April 13, 2021:

"Now, my high beam, horn, and tachometer don’t work. The fuses are all OK. It’s a mechanical tach, correct? Where should I start to troubleshoot the high beam and horn?"

9 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Relays.

How many here on the forum has done the upgrade with an extra relay for starting, 03 and newer bikes ?  What kind of relays were used ?     Did I miss this somewhere ?

Cheers Tom.

Back to this question, then . . .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Relays.

Cheers Tom.

Here is one of the more complete threads on this 2002 and on V11 wiring issue. Click the the lower title and it takes you to @Chuck's original post, click the top title to go directly to a detailed post by @gstallons. Several other posters in that thread with detailed information including @Kiwi_Roy and @vuzzi:

• Thanks 2

Finished the wiring the same way as GStallons did,  after reading a LOT. Just havent put a relay to the wiring yet. Gene just used a relay hanging around.  Just me, why not use the best relay available, right ?    Woud it be enough adding another Omron ?  Relay 1 and 2 are talking together, so the extra relay has to be better ?   Obvious didn't read enough first time, feeding power to 30pin start relay,,, oh well, lights and oillight on.  That fused powercable just went in the Greenie, perfect.     

Yes I like reliability from the gal :rasta:   IPA time.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

One advantage to adding a "standard"  automotive relay as @gstallons did,  is you are not restricted to the small size of the Micro ISO Relay as in our fuse block. So, you can easily source a 35-45 amp NO contact relay and find a place for it under the seat. Make sure the rating is for "contituous current" not just inrush.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Finished the wiring the same way as GStallons did,  after reading a LOT. Just havent put a relay to the wiring yet. Gene just used a relay hanging around.  Just me, why not use the best relay available, right ?    Woud it be enough adding another Omron ?  Relay 1 and 2 are talking together, so the extra relay has to be better ?   Obvious didn't read enough first time, feeding power to 30pin start relay,,, oh well, lights and oillight on.  That fused powercable just went in the Greenie, perfect.     

Yes I like reliability from the gal :rasta:   IPA time.

Cheers Tom.

Well , it worked and didn't catch fire .... That's good enough for me !

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you want to know what amperage this starter solenoid is drawing ; purchase a mechanical ammeter / amp gauge and wire it into the wiring terminal at the end of the harness that plugs onto the solenoid . Then go through the ammeter and back into the spade at the solenoid . Crank the engine and see what A it uses to operate the starter . It may go to max A in the beginning . Just see how much it takes to operate the starter . This will be the amperage required to operate the solenoid . 

Make your decisions then . I was too lazy to do all this .

• Thanks 1

No fire here either, just smiles. Put in a 70amp relay, why not overdue it.
Cheers Tom. c8f4c9c797b154e3552df3362908768e.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

• Like 2

There is some seriously intentional "owner involvement" in that electrical system! Look at that stand of U.S.A.-made High Current OMRON!

And a sturdy ECU case ground . . .  such nice grooms, loops, and ties. :nerd::luigi::bier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1