Intermittent (& Maddening) Engine Cutting Out...

Gerry_L

1 hour ago, knumbnutz said:

Could it be the side stand is not resting hard against the switch?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes true but he says he's covered the SS switch.

Ciao

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, Gerry_L said:

Cap in hand and begging for help here. I've been trying to sort my 2002 V11 Sport for way too long and I'm at the end of my tether.

I'm desparately looking for suggestions that I haven't thought of.

It cuts out suddenlt without warning - complete and instant - but kicks back in immediately I feather the clutch. Sometimes it'll backfire if I stuff up the clutch work but has never stranded me. Some days it will limp home cutting out very few kms, some days it can run perfectly all the way home. (I only take it out when I'm testing a new fix).

It can run perfectly for 2-300 kms or it can do it 2 kms from home. Hot weather/cold weather.

To date I've tried:

- Clutch & sidestand switches

- All new 20A Omron relays (and re-tightened the spade connectors in the relay blocks)

- New ignition sensor (wiring had gone hard and brittle)

- New filter & fuel hoses (with heat insulator over the tank line)

- Checked, cleaned and tightened all earths.

- Brand new battery (charging at > 13.5V)

- Swapped ECUs (it runs a Jefferies myECU unit but I have the same one on my Cali - I can swap them easily then just load the appropriate map. Cliff checked and re-flashed one of them for me when I was fiddling with the relays and caused some mischief).

Still to come:

- new fuel pump on its' way (not convinced this is the problem but I'm grasping at straws here).

- Dismantle main switch and check contactors and soldering.

- new fuel tap

Please feel free to add to this list - the answer will be there somewhere I'm sure.

Thanks in advance :)

3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes docc and here's what the inside of an earlier TPS looks like after a while. Note the crud and debris on the wiper and track.

DSC00997.JPG

Ciao

TPS is conspicuously absent from @Gerry_L's extensive listing . . .

2 hours ago, docc said:

TPS is conspicuously absent from @Gerry_L's extensive listing . . .

Just trying to tie the clutch action to the recovery of the running. Can't see the clutch switch having an effect and working the throttle isn't going to recover a cut in ignition or loss of fuel supply. Only thing left is TPS. No guarantee of course. You can buy a new PF3C TPS from CA Cycleworks for $92us

Ciao

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

I agree.. looked at the schematic and it looks to me that it is only involved in starting. It just seems strange that it always works.

That sounds like ignition has been lost then returns after a few revolutions. I'm sure it is frustrating, but think of the pleasure you will get from solving it. :rasta::grin:

Haha - the pleasure of tinkering dissolved a long time ago @Chuck I just want to get straight to the relief, joy, celebrations and mischief when it is finally sorted. :bier:

I'm still working through fuel at the moment but yes, I agree with your comment on the ignition.

I discounted the TPS because the symptom isn't consistent with TPS problems (please correct me if I'm wrong). The unit that is in there is only about 10,000kms old and is set perfectly. It runs better than any V11 has a right to (when it isn't tormenting me). 

10 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

By ignition sensor you refer to the camshaft sensor right?  
better try a new TPS.

@fotoguzzi yes. Mario from Thunderbikes (a Guzzi god in Australia whose name isn't Pete Roper), suggested that one. The wiring goes hard and brittle at the bend near the frame tube and he has had recent instances of broken wires. Mine was hard as rock and I couldn't get a consistent continuity through one of the wires so I really thought I'd finally found it.

I invented some new words when it wasn't the problem. Still, it probably headed off an issue that would have raised its' head a little later...

The TPS is a only few years old with about 10,000kms on it. Set spot on. Could still be the problem and I'll probably work through a few other things first.

• Like 1

Are you 100% confident the sidestand switch and related wiring is good? Because when I put out the sidestand whilst in gear, she dies, however when I quickly enough flip the sidestand back (or the clutch), I can actually prevent her from dieing and it sounds like a misfire or ignition problem.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tinus89 said:

Are you 100% confident the sidestand switch and related wiring is good? Because when I put out the sidestand whilst in gear, she dies, however when I quickly enough flip the sidestand back (or the clutch), I can actually prevent her from dieing and it sounds like a misfire or ignition problem.

Yeah, Im wondering if the side stand sort of dislodges from the switch just enough to kill it and clutching it is enough to jar back.

It should be easy enough to kick the stand when it cuts out and this would rule it out definitely at least.

It's my experience that when the sidestand switch fails, the default is to run, not stop the bike.  At least that's the situation for both my Guzzis.  

On 4/27/2021 at 5:08 AM, fotoguzzi said:

By ignition sensor you refer to the camshaft sensor right?  
better try a new TPS.

That's my thought. Something going on with the throttle bodies. 

On 4/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, Tinus89 said:

Are you 100% confident the sidestand switch and related wiring is good? 

@Tinus89 @knumbnutz it was the very first thing I looked at. The symptoms are exactly what you'd expect from a poor contact on the switch.

I actually removed it and bridged the wires. Have been running like that for about a year but I put it back in the system a few weeks ago.

Edited by Gerry_L
Had the wrong member names in my reply.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 4:39 AM, LowRyter said:

It's my experience that when the sidestand switch fails, the default is to run, not stop the bike.  At least that's the situation for both my Guzzis.  

On 4/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, Chuck said:

If I'm reading the first post correctly, he's already installed a new sidestand switch..

no not the switch but the sidestand not sitting on the switch properly all the time or actuating the switch.

I don't have one on my bike, but i know on my griso there is an inch of play which can foul it from getting into its proper position.. anyway, was just checking and easy enough to check while riding, just kick the sidestand into the bike if its conking out.

• Like 1