Another Gear Oil Question!

Kane

It’s about time to change the oils in my gear box and final drive, and while surveying the plethora of available oils and considering the factory recommendation to add 20ml of moly to 320ml of oil for the final drive, I came across this Motul 80w-90 mineral gearbox oil that is “reinforced” with moly.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/gearbox-80w90

Has anyone tried this oil? I’m wondering if it will satisfy what the factory calls for, but there is no info on Motul’s site on the ratio of oil and moly or how much moly is contained in one liter of the product. I was going to go with Bel Ray gear oil for both the gear box and final drive and add moly to the final drive, and then I found this stuff. It would be simple to just deal with one type of oil for this. Any thoughts on the merits or use of this oil?

thanks!

IIRC, that Motul (with moly) is the original formulation for the Moto Guzzi V11 "Final Drive Oil."  Seems it went "no longer available" long ago?

Hence, the common substitution of RedLine ShockProof with its "synthetic moly" . . . .

• Like 2

That’s interesting. And reassuring! It looks like it is currently available. Had Guzzi adapted the Motul? I thought most of the factory lit that called for a brand called for Agip products.

10 hours ago, Kane said:

That’s interesting. And reassuring! It looks like it is currently available. Had Guzzi adapted the Motul? I thought most of the factory lit that called for a brand called for Agip products.

This was the final drive oil in a Moto Guzzi bottle that had the moly premixed. When I couldn't get it from Guzzi anymore, I found the Motul product and the specification looked identical. It was my presumption that Motul had provided the product to Moto Guzzi.

• Thanks 1

Awesome! Thanks, docc. I’ll give it a try: straight Bel Ray in the gear box and the Motul pre-mix in the final drive. Moto-cocktail! Yum!

• Like 1

• Bet most of the oil’s today are well within Guzzi specs. But again the best available for the gals. I use Orion 870 :rasta:.
  • Cheers Tom.