Another battery thread

Guzzimax

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree my last Oddesey battery lasted more that 7 years and I've heard a few stories of them being even older and still working fine. In fact I'm still using it in my lawn tractor and it's probably 12 years old .

• Like 2

On my 2004 Ballabio my Odyssey lasted over 12 years. Replaced with same. Is always kept on a battery tender when not ridden. That is the longest I have ever had a battery last in a motorcycle, aircraft, helicopter or automobile.

• Like 1

Forgive the new member for not reading much yet of this thread or the many other threads that indicate that most users get way more than 3-4 yrs on a even a mildly cared-for odyssey...

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, JethTran said:

Hi....What amount space do you have accessible on the Cali?

Best exhortation I can give is get the biggest limit battery you can as far as Amp Hours.

I'm certain the first was a 30 AH one, all batteries lose capaciy over the long haul, so from that poit of view the more you need to begin with the more it will last.

You would now be able to get the a lot more modest AGM type batteries. These are a lot more modest yet give a high beginning yield. Anyway it appears to be uncommon for them to last significantly more than 3 to 4 years for the explanation above.

dfg g kf;gfg jfsd;gkfjg kfsgkf gs dg gf dsf;g fg dfsg fg dfgsdf g fg dsg; dfg sd g g ads;lg  g dfgs g fg sdfg fd gsjd g dfgs dg djg sd g dfgsj g asdjgfgdfs gj dfgdafsg gdf gs dgdsg dg j dgs djdg jdsg jld ;gfdgsdfg jfd gsjd g fgs dg dg sd gjf gjls dfg fdg sg f gsjd g gjl adsfjg fgasd gjdf gs dgj dfjg sd df gsld dgs dg fdgl sdg gslg fd gjds g dfgjs dlg dg sd gd glds g dfg dslgj dfg sldg dga sjdg jhad gshdhgasdgd gsa d da sdh d asjd f dfas djlf df sjdf d fajds fl dfasdfdfasdfdfadsfdfdsfdafsdfdf

Welcome to the forum.

Do you own a Guzzi? If so, which one?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:27 PM, footgoose said:

Curious about your homeland ozrider23. Got any road photos? any other Guzzi about?

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check this site very often.  

As far as I know, there is only one other Guzzi in Vanuatu and it's a 1993 model California. 

Apart from the ring road around the island (Efate), the roads are generally awful.  After heavy rain, pot holes are common and it's like riding a slalom course to dodge them.  It also takes a while for them to be repaired as the funds allocation for road maintenance is abysmal.

Sorry, no photos of roads.  

• Like 2

Vanuatu?  Good stuff!  A lot more interesting than Oregon… (in the eye of the beholder)

Heavy salt & humidity environment changes the equation a bit, in my opinion.  Actually, all the same, but the details get more important.  We ran various kinds of batteries and chargers for well over a decade in a (technical) rain forest area on the coast of western Mexico and lots of odd stuff happened over those years.  I think the same advice applies, meaning Odyssey batteries, proper charger, deoxit and/or di-electric grease, etc, but be much more careful about connections. 
That’s Probably all old news to an island resident.  I’d just add that odyssey is arguably best choice, and then just need to watch those connections….batt cables, the charger sae connectors, all that stuff has given me issues on the machines I’ve had in coastal Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've only been here for 15 months and the bike was in a container and storage for about 10 months - which didn't do the battery any favours, hence the curiosity about LiFe units.  Prior to that I was in Australia (Darling Downs, Queensland) and the Le Mans was my daily ride to work and weekend tourer.  

Corrosion is a big problem, particularly as I live right on Mele Bay.  I've had to tidy up a few switches and terminals but I keep wondering what is going to happen next. 

Normal lead acid batteries in vehicles here usually have to be replaced within 2 years.  I have no doubt that AGMs would last longer.

The prolonged storage, and perhaps the crappy roads, has affected the battery and I need to ensure it's charged before riding it anywhere.

• Like 1

Wow....

You must be the only Moto Guzzi Le Mans owner in that part of the world!

How long does it take you to go around the island? as far as I can see, not many roads to stretch your twin cylinders...

You should maybe organize a TT?

On 9/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, p6x said:

Wow....

You must be the only Moto Guzzi Le Mans owner in that part of the world!

How long does it take you to go around the island? as far as I can see, not many roads to stretch your twin cylinders...

You should maybe organize a TT?

Believe it or not, the maximum speed limit in the whole country is 80 km/h.  In Port Vila, the limit is 50 km/h and in some of the villages, even less. However, there are no radars, speed cameras, speed traps or even pursuit vehicles - but any big bike is easily recognised.    The ring road is about 160 km so if there are no stops, a bit over two and a half hours if you stick to the limits. 

A TT?  Perhaps with Stelvios or equivalent - but you'd need a lot of people to ensure the pigs and dogs stayed off the road.    

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, ozstrider23 said:

Believe it or not, the maximum speed limit in the whole country is 80 km/h.  In Port Vila, the limit is 50 km/h and in some of the villages, even less. However, there are no radars, speed cameras, speed traps or even pursuit vehicles - but any big bike is easily recognised.    The ring road is about 160 km so if there are no stops, a bit over two and a half hours if you stick to the limits. 

A TT?  Perhaps with Stelvios or equivalent - but you'd need a lot of people to ensure the pigs and dogs stayed off the road.    

I guess 80 km/h is reasonable, especially with stray animals.

When I lived in Sicily, I was the only Harley Davidson owner in Vittoria (RG) 1989. It did not take long to single me out. First, not Sicilian, and then an HD in the land of Vespa and Ape....

I am sure people would be thrilled to see Stelvios and Le Mans....

On 9/14/2021 at 3:21 AM, Admin Jaap said:

FWIW, I deleted the comment by JethThran and flagged him as a spammer.

I did not even notice his post. Spammer or Troll?

59 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I'd be interested in a review of this brand/family by the "battery brains trust"

https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/products/pulse-ipt-battery-p-14s

Ciao

Until the "battery brains trust" makes a comment, I'd like to share my opinion.

Full Spectrum Power claim " lightest weight; highest cranking power; most capacity; smallest size". They don't specify their lithium cell chemistry, so it probably uses the high performing but dangerous polymer technology. It wouldn't be fun sitting on a battery fire.

I use a Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 on my V11, and plug in the dedicated Shorai balance charger BMS01 a couple of times a year. It is a LIFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) type, which doesn't hold the most power, but is the safest chemistry.

Comparison of lithium cell chemistry here: Safety of Lithium-Ion batteries - PowerTech Systems

Shorai Battery Finder | Shorai Power (litema.com.au)

What you need to know about lithium motorcycle batteries : FastBikeGear, Importers and Distributors of Motorcycle Accessories  

• Thanks 2