Another battery thread

Guzzimax

Just bought this rather nice green V11 Sport, to enhance my Guzzi collection. It’s got a Motobatt battery, only 3 years old but now starting to struggle in turning the engine over from cold. My other Guzzi’s all have Odyssey batteries, but I’ve read mixed reports on these and recently had to change a 6 month old one under warranty as it had started to leak. I realise that asking for advice about batteries is like asking for oil brand advice, but I would value anyone’s opinion about which battery to buy as a replacement? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guzzimax said:

Just bought this rather nice green V11 Sport, to enhance my Guzzi collection. It’s got a Motobatt battery, only 3 years old but now starting to struggle in turning the engine over from cold. My other Guzzi’s all have Odyssey batteries, but I’ve read mixed reports on these and recently had to change a 6 month old one under warranty as it had started to leak. I realise that asking for advice about batteries is like asking for oil brand advice, but I would value anyone’s opinion about which battery to buy as a replacement? 

Your Odyssey would have almost certainly been leaking due to overcharging which is pretty typical of the V11 charging system. I've had 2 Odysseys do this due to a faulty reg and the way the V11 wiring is designed. Check your regulator voltage output. 

Ciao

• Like 2

A friend has just fitted a LiPo battery in his BMW F800, was impressed by how light it is, compared to a conventional lead acid battery, but he’s only had it for 2 weeks, and I don’t know of anyone with long term experience of how they last. Also would they be more prone to overcharging damage that seems typical with a V11 ? I have another V11 which has a now 6 year old Odyssey that’s still going strong, whereas another V11 seems to have overcharged its Odyssey in less than 6 months. I honestly don’t know if LiPo’s are worth the high price premium. I’m not too bothered about saving a few kgs in battery weight, I could save a lot more myself if I could eat fewer pies :)

• Haha 1

Yay, another greenie!

I haven't had any issues with the Odyssey batteries myself.

I just put the third one in her about 18 months ago, so not bad for a 20 year old bike. ( I know this as I replaced the original Spark 500  back when) 

My bike has had a Shendengan  Reg/Reg for nigh on 12 years though and this plus she gets ridden year round may have something to do with it ? ( Maybe )

Welcome to the nuthouse mate but I see you're  well versed in the Guzzi way already !

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1

+1 on what Phil said, fix the Volt issue first.  I changed to a regulator who feeds directly to the battery, no more 30 amp issue.

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guzzimax said:

A friend has just fitted a LiPo battery in his BMW F800, was impressed by how light it is, compared to a conventional lead acid battery, but he’s only had it for 2 weeks, and I don’t know of anyone with long term experience of how they last. Also would they be more prone to overcharging damage that seems typical with a V11 ? I have another V11 which has a now 6 year old Odyssey that’s still going strong, whereas another V11 seems to have overcharged its Odyssey in less than 6 months. I honestly don’t know if LiPo’s are worth the high price premium. I’m not too bothered about saving a few kgs in battery weight, I could save a lot more myself if I could eat fewer pies :)

Here's another option I posted recently. More cranking power and around half the weight of an Odyssey and around $50 or so dearer. Why they call it a "hybrid" I don't understand as it's just an AGM as far as I can see but it's light and not as expensive as a LiPo battery and all the issues with them.

https://www.motobatt.us/Tester-Motobatt-Fixed-Load-12V

Ciao  

Charging a new Yuasa AGM as we speak. If I read the Odyssey info rightly, it looks to be about 10-11 years old. I get about that out of Yuasa AGMs in my Kwackers and this one was US $79 to my door.

Never owned a Stelvio as I’m not really into dual sport bikes. I prefer road focussed bikes; I’ve got a 8v Griso that I’ve now had for 7 years, and for me the Griso is different enough to a V11 to make me appreciate the qualities of both bikes. I’ve promised myself I will test ride a V85TT this year as my local dealer now has a demonstrator just to see if there’s anything that moves the Guzzi experience on from the CARC bike era, but I’m not too optimistic; for me the various V11’s and Griso are the last of the sporting big block Guzzi’s

829C3222-C5AA-42FD-A5BC-1EFC5200437C.jpeg

• Like 5