Unbolt Frame Plate?

Purloined

Is it possible to remove/reinstall the red frame gusset (both sides) that the swing arm pivot and driver foot peg/brake lever etc. attaches to without disassembling heaps of parts? Assume you'd have to independently support everything that is fastened to/by this plate while it is off.  Can this be done without collapsing the bike?

Thanks in advance.

V11 I95 fuel 189.pdf

Why is it so maddening to upload images on this site? Gawd, head is sore from banging it against the wall. 

The only way it was possible, after countless attempts was a PDF conversion, but it doesn't display in the post, which is not helpful. 

I didn't get quite that far in examining the ins/outs of the fasteners.

I didn't know if it was possible to remove the plate without completely disassembling the bike; remove motor/etc.  Didn't know if it would collapse into a heap if this was done. 

8 minutes ago, Purloined said:

I didn't get quite that far in examining the ins/outs of the fasteners.

I didn't know if it was possible to remove the plate without completely disassembling the bike; remove motor/etc.  Didn't know if it would collapse into a heap if this was done. 

These pretty things?

IMG_2561.JPG.jpeg

If the engine/gearbox are supported and the rear subframe/tail section are hung from above, the frame side plates can be removed after removing the swingarm.

Are you looking to refinish them? Or something else is afoot?

. . . and, yes, image above is on a hosting site (imgzeit) . . .

• Like 1

Posting pix is a walk in the park compared to what you've illustrated. 

Yes. I wanted to re-spray them. And the bruises on my head are feeling pretty mild compared to the aftermath of that exercise. 

I think I'll retreat to my closet and chew my nails down a little farther and convince myself that the red is not as bad as I convinced myself. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Purloined said:

Posting pix is a walk in the park compared to what you've illustrated. 

Yes. I wanted to re-spray them. And the bruises on my head are feeling pretty mild compared to the aftermath of that exercise. 

I think I'll retreat to my closet and chew my nails down a little farther and convince myself that the red is not as bad as I convinced myself. 

As gstallons said, above, " . . . maybe one at a time?" (I would still do all the supporting to make reassembly more reliable. Also, taking off one at a time, you might be able to leave the swingarm in place.)

I just now noticed, in that dramatic view of the frame side plates dangling like stilettos, the culprit of that necessity is clearly visible. The special hold-down nut in the gearbox input hub seen at the far left is clearly flush with the surface of the hub. It's retention/safety washer had failed and it walked off, fouling the clutch release.

Docc,

gstallons suggested one at side at a time. 

Any chance this is possible without removing the swingarm et al?

I put in a search for membership in a cult of deluded dopes. Lots of hits so far, I'm sifting through the multitudes and I appear to be a good fit based on what I'm reading. 

+you forgot to remove the guitar player/singer (Emmylou Harris?) from the your final drive. Was that a problem? Did she interfere?  Maybe she interrupted her song to bark suggestions, she's doubtless hip about a lot and would be helpful in countless situations.  

• Like 2

Heh, Emmy Lou was consoling my dismay.

What looks like the rear drive is actually the front of the gearbox turned sideways, sitting on a box. I mentioned the actual fault above being that the input hub safety washer had failed. Took the time to seal all of the oil weeps and replace the clutch friction discs/springs.

Yeah, pretty sure you can remove a sideplate without too much drama. Some of those nuts on the back side are hard to get a tool on.

I have not removed one pork chop at a time, but I think it could be done. I don't think you can remove both without getting almost to point of docc's picture.

If I wanted to remove them one at a time, I think I would proceed as follows:

Remove wheel and swingarm. This means taking off the two large chrome nuts (30mm I think) and removing the very finely threaded swingarm pivots. This is also a good time to check and lube the driveshaft u-joints.

Remove all the peripherals - brake pedal and master, shifter assembly. Leave the footpegs on - or at least the mounting brackets. Those are best removed when the porkchops are off.

Loosen all eight nuts that are inboard on the frame - if you can't get to these, all bets are off.

Remove the long bolt that goes through the bottom hole on the porkchops.

Then remove one top bolt and all four frame bolts on one side. It should pop right off with a big rubber hammer from the inside.

Paint

Drink Beer.

Reinstall

Repeat on other side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Emmylou is consoler-in-chief to multitudes. And for decades. She's not taken me up on invitations to hand-hold while I blunder through moto mechanical follies. I can't blame her for that and wouldn't ever. She does her thing. I hone my circus of the ridiculous. You have to pay to see her perform, here it's free. For good reason.

Docc, I was scrutinizing your image, the hub safety washer is an issue if you're removing the drive shaft/swing arm? Not an issue if it is possible to unfasten the plates one at a time and leave the drive train intact?

26 minutes ago, Purloined said:

Some would say I'm lazy, I like to say I love patina! :thumbsup:

I've gotten into trouble far too many times diving in deeper than I should've, my motto now is, "if it ain't broke, I don't fix it" :rasta:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1