V11 won’t idle correctly

Guzzimax

Ticknocker, your observation is correct. Looking at this again today, both the left and right t.b butterfly valves are not completely closed. There is a small gap between the butterfly blade and the t.b. even when the throttle is fully closed. It’s not a big gap but it’s there. Whilst idling should the t.b valves be totally closed? If they should do I do this by adjusting the link rod that couples the t.b’s together? Is the white knob by the LH t.b the idle adjustment control?

A3B0C78E-D606-482E-9DBD-8DF283C6A2FF.jpeg

BEEC2944-07A8-434A-BE35-71597164C39E.jpeg

Sooooo - pretty sure the plates should be open enough to idle (not locked completely shut). The white knob is not the idle adjustment (it is the balancing adjustment between the throttle bodies).

In your second image, above, (the one turned on its side), the glob of yellow paint fills the hex that is the right side idle stop screw.  Looks like it could use some attention (like it's never been adjusted . . .)

You, Sir, need a "Decent Tune-up" . . .

I saw in the initial images the throttle plates looked a little too far open to me but I thought it may just be the perspective. My previous recommendation was to establish that the butterflies were completely closed and both sides were baseline synced together as a starting point. You can then at least start the engine and keep it running on the throttle without it running away until you can set the idle roughly. When you get the idle roughly correct on the idle screw the butterflies will be slightly away from fully closed on the TB bores, naturally. Then you can do a proper balance and tune. I now see the OP is asking about the white linkage knob and whether its the idle adjustment and know we are in a bit of trouble. As docc says, follow the decent tune-up thread.

Ciao

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

I thought they were completely closed until you set the stop screw.? Wouldn’t that be baseline zero for tps fully closed?

Correct.