Smallblock bevel/rear drive (dis)assembly

Tinus89

Hi all,

I have a smallblock rear drive/bevel box which I want to repaint, as oxidation has caused the paint to flake. I can of course get a wire brush out on a drill and manually remove all old paint & oxidation prior to repainting it, but the best option really would be to have it sandblasted.

Question: I have never disassembled a bevel box (I have with entire engines). Is disassembly and reassembly of one of these easy, or should I spend extensive time & effort in setting gear preload/interference?

It depends on what you call easy. You'll need a puller to get the bearings out, and that small seal in the back is a booger. As long as you don't change anything, there's no need to mess with the gears.

If it is a pre 87, there is a lube mod that needs to be done.

It is early '90s.

Hmmm. So no need to set preload/backlash if I dont change anything, but also not too straight forward.
Since it is not leaking, I am leaning towards leaving it intact an painting as is...

• Like 1

I've painted a few of them without disassembly. I was careful with the aircraft paint stripper, and used plastic scrapers and wet paper towels to remove the gunk. Didn't need any abrasives.

• Like 2

+1 on the careful use of stripper. Small enough area that it’s not a pain.

What will be the plan for the paint method? Tape&spray, or is it reasonable to powder coat with it still assembled?

I'd pass on the 400F powder coat curing temp. :oldgit: When I did the AeroLario, I thoroughly cleaned it with purple power, went all over it with red scotch brite, wiped it down with thinner, masked and rattle canned it. Still looks good years later. 

• Like 1

You need all the grease off before powdercoating, so you'd need to remove the bearings - and the heat is not good for any rubber seals.

I used canned spray paint as well. VHT Engine Case is good paint.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses! I've given it a whack yesterday with some paint stripper and a wire brush on a drill, which went remarkably well. Everything closed up/taped off obviously. Only need to go and find a smaller bit for the corrosion in the small holes, but should be fine.

Plan is indeed to (quality) rattle can it, as the curing of the powdercoat will hurt any seals etc.

• Like 1