Valve cover refinishing prep - rosso mandello

kantmakm

I am refinishing the valve covers on my v11 sport.  After stripping the 'anodized' paint I can see that there are 2 additional thin layers between the paint and the cast aluminum.  There's what appears to be shiny metal plating (leafing?!?), then a brownish/yellowish layer.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what these are?  I had a small dent and hairline crack in one of the covers and I did sand off those layers to make the repair.  I'm wondering about whether to leave them and whether to use a self-etching primer before re-painting them.

6 hours ago, kantmakm said:

I am refinishing the valve covers on my v11 sport.  After stripping the 'anodized' paint I can see that there are 2 additional thin layers between the paint and the cast aluminum.  There's what appears to be shiny metal plating (leafing?!?), then a brownish/yellowish layer.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what these are?  I had a small dent and hairline crack in one of the covers and I did sand off those layers to make the repair.  I'm wondering about whether to leave them and whether to use a self-etching primer before re-painting them.

Probably a 3 part paint finish, base coat, translucent colour coat and top coat. If you strip them to bare metal, bead blast them and paint with dedicated engine enamel within 2 or 3 days you wont need to etch prime or prime them in any way.

Ciao   

• Like 2