Replacement battery for V11 sport

Buttaknife

I measured this not long ago and was surprised how much it drops. No spacers required!

(In fact, the welded-on nuts under the subframe rather serve as spacers.)

Okay, here it is: it drops 9mm/ ~3/8". Plenty to clear the battery from the seat and not interfere with the shock travel:

23 minutes ago, docc said:

I measured this not long ago and was surprised how much it drops. No spacers required!

(In fact, the welded-on nuts under the subframe rather serve as spacers.)

ahhhhh, yes, I forgot about the welded nuts. Excellent suggestion! 

• Thanks 1

I went with the Odyssey, I'm still not convinced it's not the exact same battery as the Spark.

Also I would not use this person ever again if they don't know which battery to get you or they are trying to rip you off.

4 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

I went with the Odyssey, I'm still not convinced it's not the exact same battery as the Spark.

Also I would not use this person ever again if they don't know which battery to get you or they are trying to rip you off.

My understanding has been that the original Spark 500 is the Hawker Odyssey PC545 (OEM).

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

Sorry to hear. I do my research on what fits a particular bike and this group is excellent for information, then I order online and have it delivered or pick it up at Batteries Plus. A quick side by side comparison should tell you.  

1 hour ago, bsanorton said:

Sorry to hear. I do my research on what fits a particular bike and this group is excellent for information, then I order online and have it delivered or pick it up at Batteries Plus. A quick side by side comparison should tell you.  

Sorry to hear what?

I got my Odyssey from Autozone for way less than Batteries Plus or anywhere else locally.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/power-sport-battery?filterByKeyWord=odyssey&filters=4000000227&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&model=odyssey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

About your experience with whoever you said you had a problem with. good for you, We all shop around. Amazon has it for $109 with free delivery, but I have bought at Autozone too, it's right around the corner from me and sometimes they are the cheapest especially with the coupons and the credit you get back from your old battery 

3 hours ago, bsanorton said:

About your experience with whoever you said you had a problem with. good for you, We all shop around. Amazon has it for $109 with free delivery, but I have bought at Autozone too, it's right around the corner from me and sometimes they are the cheapest especially with the coupons and the credit you get back from your old battery 

I was telling the OP that they should find someone who know more about V11 Sports. Not sure where you got lost in the conversation.

19 hours ago, swooshdave said:

11 hours ago, swooshdave said:

I was telling the OP that they should find someone who know more about V11 Sports. Not sure where you got lost in the conversation.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, Buttaknife said:

Hi everyone  

Just took the V11 Sport (2003)out of storage and need a new battery. The mechanic is recommending the YUASA 53030 Li ion...for @$500...is this correct? Says due to limited space available...is there a cheaper option? Thanks.

Ah, okay. That makes sense now. You were referring back to the original post on page one, not the opening statement in your post.

@swooshdave, I was also thrown by what you are saying about the relationship between the Odyssey and the original Spark. The way I read this, "I went with the Odyssey, I'm still not convinced it's not the exact same battery as the Spark."  You are saying they are the same battery?

Thank you Doc for again helping me find my way, I feel I am no longer lost and back on track in the conversation. LOL. My heart was in the right place, maybe not my brain?

I have found your information and tips to be absolutely spot on, a great help.      

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, docc said:

Ah, okay. That makes sense now. You were referring back to the original post on page one, not the opening statement in your post.

@swooshdave, I was also thrown by what you are saying about the relationship between the Odyssey and the original Spark. The way I read this, "I went with the Odyssey, I'm still not convinced it's not the exact same battery as the Spark."  You are saying they are the same battery?

I'm saying I'm not sure it not the same battery. Do we know the Spark wasn't made under license? I just recall (vaguely) when I replaced the Spark it looked damn near identical.

2 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

I'm saying I'm not sure it not the same battery. Do we know the Spark wasn't made under license? I just recall (vaguely) when I replaced the Spark it looked damn near identical.

Cool. Pretty sure we're saying the same thing.  while I have seen no evidence of licensing (as if the Italians ever make these agreements public), I share your observation about the similarity (" . . damn near identical.")

To take the observation a bit further, the very first PC545 I sourced to replace my original Spark 500 was absolutely identical in every way (2006). The PC545 changed a little by the next one I bought (2010):

DSCN1938.jpg

[Note: these batteries have all lasted about twice as long as those date intervals, but the older battery has swapped into service in my Odyssey-test-bed and faithful 750cc Kohler-twin garden tractor, swampee.]

• Like 1

We replaced the original battery in the wifes V11 with an Odyssey PC545. Ran it that way for years, but swapped it out before leaving on a long trip years back. The battery wasn't dead or anything, just didn't want it to die on the trip (had a bad experience with the original). After sitting in my garage for a few years, the battery in my lawn tractor died. So I grabbed the PC545 and put it in the lawn tractor, where it is still chugging away now. It just keeps going. And it gets very little special care or attention, nothing what some do for their batteries (docc?).

I mention it because I am just so impressed with both the original and the Odyssey replacement. I have considered a Lithium battery, but in a 500 lb motorcycle I don't think the weight difference is worth it. I am fine with a heavy battery that works forever.

• Like 3