Side Stand Tang

swooshdave

Not the orange drink, the wire thing that sticks out and breaks. Or at least mine did.

So I whipped up a prototype. It's probably too thin but I'll see how long it lasts.

G5dYhaS.jpg

h1hS3di.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like the correct description is:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=5546

SIDE STAND DEPLOYMENT LOOP

Almost $30.

Am I correct these break a lot?

It wouldn't be hard to design something way better.

3D print up some dies and press a few.

I haven't had one break, but I've heard of plenty breaking, so I am super-careful with mine and have managed to stash at least one spare away in my box of goodies.

When Chuck and I were deep into shift spring engineering and production,  we learned that the spring material was bent too tightly for its diameter, which created weak points at the bends - and explained the failures. I suspect these "side stand deployment loops" suffer from the same issue. I think you could have a set bent up by a spring maker with correct radii on the bends. The spring maker I used was willing to make the side stand parts if I would give them specs - but I never pursued it. Count me in as a buyer if somebody decides to do this.

I don't think I would buy a pressed metal plate. I am not a big fan of having a sheet metal blade by my left Achilles tendon. Even though I almost always wear good boots. I'd rather have something that would bend or break.

• Like 1

I've had at least a couple break. Perfect application to repurpose the safety retention washer that failed on my gearbox input hub . . .

IMG_2796.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swooshdave said:

It looks like the correct description is:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=5546

SIDE STAND DEPLOYMENT LOOP

Almost $30.

Am I correct these break a lot?

It wouldn't be hard to design something way better.

3D print up some dies and press a few.

This guy is impressive.

Ciao

On 5/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, Scud said:

I don't think I would buy a pressed metal plate. I am not a big fan of having a sheet metal blade by my left Achilles tendon. Even though I almost always wear good boots. I'd rather have something that would bend or break.

How is this near your achilles? Do you have highway pegs on your V11?

That's funny. And you're correct that the part is in front of the pegs, not behind. My bad.

However, I'd still be a little concerned about the sheet metal.

19 minutes ago, Scud said:

That's funny. And you're correct that the part is in front of the pegs, not behind. My bad.

However, I'd still be a little concerned about the sheet metal.

You should be way more concerned about that cast metal side stand. Neither the sheet metal or bent wire will do much to you.

Just buy one from Cheesehead and Gordon at MGC and be done with it..:oldgit::grin:

And from the video.. 3D printed sheet metal dies.. will it survive?

No. No it won't. Trust me, I apprenticed as a sheet metal diemaker.

12 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

Looks meh. But better than stock. I'd buy one. 😉

This was just my first draft and no it doesn't look great. It's flimsy but it works. I'd like to see what else people have done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chuck said:

Just buy one from Cheesehead and Gordon at MGC and be done with it..:oldgit::grin:

And from the video.. 3D printed sheet metal dies.. will it survive?

No. No it won't. Trust me, I apprenticed as a sheet metal diemaker.

Did you actually watch the video? Remember a die only needs to survive as long as your production is. If you are making dozen units do you want to over-invest in dies? If you are making 10k then no, they will not last.

While I could just get the stock one I think we've proven that the stock part isn't always the best.