Side Stand Tang

swooshdave

Cheesehead is Rick. He and Gordon are MG Cycles. Good guys.

No I didn't watch the video. :) I'm also an engineering modelmaker and I've made 100s if not thousands of prototype parts. I'm aware of what temporary tooling can and can't do. .048" stainless in that part? I'd be surprised if you got one "good" one. :huh2:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck said:

No I didn't watch the video. :) I'm also an engineering modelmaker and I've made 100s if not thousands of prototype parts. I'm aware of what temporary tooling can and can't do. .048" stainless in that part? I'd be surprised if you got one "good" one. :huh2:

Maybe watch it and see if an old dog can learn something new.

Ok, the old dawg watched it and it was just what I expected. No good ones, and the die is already broken. For the time it took, I could have made metal dies on the mill.

Edit:

Look, I'm not knocking 3D printing. I use some printed stuff in the shop daily.. but what he is trying to do here is beyond the capability of plastic.

4 hours ago, swooshdave said:

side-stand-lever-v11-1100-sport-centauro

This is an interesting option. It looks horrible. I wonder how long those welds will hold up.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?language=sc&products_id=4940

If the rod ends are sunk in holes (like the mount holes) and welded, it should be OK.

I'm trying to adapt the springworks from an Italian switchblade to the sidestand so I can have push button deployment.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

Worked on the Boeing YC-14 prototype tooling. It had to make (2) parts. For some of the autoclaved tooling, quick repairs were made with bondo and lamp black to match the black epoxy of the tooling. Can only imagine what McDonnell-Douglas did on their YC-15.

12 hours ago, Chuck said:

Ok, the old dawg watched it and it was just what I expected. No good ones, and the die is already broken. For the time it took, I could have made metal dies on the mill.

Edit:

Look, I'm not knocking 3D printing. I use some printed stuff in the shop daily.. but what he is trying to do here is beyond the capability of plastic.

Which was the point of the video, to stress test the plastic. Not to optimize the process.