Another Tire Post.....Road 5’s?

Kane

I am looking to change my tires soon from the wearing out Shinkos that are on it now. From what I’ve seen, people seem to be really happy with Pirelli Angel GT’s. One other tire that may be in the same class as the Pirelli but I don’t see mention of here is the Michelin Road 5. Can anyone compare the Angel GT and the Road 5? While there are many past tire threads here, most are pretty old so perhaps the Road 5 is a more recent model.

Another thing that I am wondering about is if a 60 or a 70 aspect ratio is preferred for a 2001 red / short frame V11? Also on the front rim would it be a 55w or 58w tire (I’m not really sure what that means). I am thinking a 120 tire in front and a 160 tire in the back. The Road 5 160 May only be available in a 60 aspect ratio.

Looking for a decent lasting sport tire, good for aggressive canyon riding but also as a daily street and commuting tire.

Cheers!

Pirelli Angel GT is a great tire, I have those on the RC and Greenie. Just put Dunlop Sport Smart  TT on my reindeer,,, wow. That will be my next choice for the V 11.

Cheers Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tomchri,

thanks for your input. I don’t see the Sport Smart....is this a sport tire? Too many choices to easily wrap my old head around. I figure any of these premium tires will be a step up from the Shinkos that have been on the bike, not that I’ve has any issues with them.
Cheers!

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Hi Tomchri,

thanks for your input. I don’t see the Sport Smart....is this a sport tire? Too many choices to easily wrap my old head around. I figure any of these premium tires will be a step up from the Shinkos that have been on the bike, not that I’ve has any issues with them.
Cheers!

Right? Pretty sure you can't go  wrong with tires from modern manufacturers. Distributors or shops? Well, I have mistakenly bought rather old (like three year old) tires "off the shelf." I've no experience with the Michelin Road 5, but agree that tire threads need to keep pace with newly offered tires. Recently, I switched to Bridgesone Battlax T31, at the advice of a trusted friend, after Pirelli took manufacturing to China while their prices went up.

As for tire size, my 'feel' from members posting over this considerable time is that the 60 aspect ratio is kept, along with the 120 front, while the rear is often (not always!) taken down a width (early ShortFrame 4.5" rim: 170 -> 160, and later LongFrame 5.5" rim: 180 -> 170.

IMO, the 170 (slightly pinched onto the 4.5" rim) of the early RedFrame contributed to complaints about the high speed squirm (along with a handful of other factors that all conspired to make for some skeery pucker-time coming by the bow wave of a semi-truck passing at 80-90 mph/ 130-150 kph :o ).

"YMMV" surely can't apply to anything more than tires!! I eat mine up so fast, if I don't like one - no worries, it'll be gone soon. :race:

• Like 2

I'm fond of the Dunlop Road Smarts.  I have them on my Greenie and my Ducati.  I've had Pirellis and Michelins on my Greenie.  The Dunlops last as long or longer, handle just as well and cost less <Guzzi content>.

I wore out the rear the Michelin really quickly, too expensive for that.  I liked them so well, I replaced the Pirellis (Rosso III) on my Ducati after too many worn tires in a short amount of miles.

• Like 2

Michelin Pilot Road 3s came with big red. I get the feeling that the tire profile is not that well suited to the bike. It definitely corners better on the gas than neutral or overrun. Might be the tires, the Guzzi or the 180>170 thing. I see folks raving about the Conti Road Attack 3. Certainly not an inexpensive tire, but what price confidence?

• Like 2

Guys... don’t bother with the Angel GT’s - not because they aren’t good. They were actually what I was running previously but tyre technology just keeps improving...!

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a set of Metzeler M9RR’s. They are the bomb! Awesome dry grip lean angles beautiful feel...

👍😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ScuRoo said:

Guys... don’t bother with the Angel GT’s - not because they aren’t good. They were actually what I was running previously but tyre technology just keeps improving...!

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a set of Metzeler M9RR’s. They are the bomb! Awesome dry grip lean angles beautiful feel...

👍😎

YES !...Love Pirelli's, ran 3 sets of Angel GT's on my Z's, but since BMW/S1000rr & KTM/1290 Super Duke use the Metzeler M7rr, what can it hurt. Will still recommend Pirelli's, but the newest generation of Metzeler's are great. I have M7rr's on one Z, & Z8's on the other Z & my V11. The more rounded contour encourages smooth right-left-right transitions, as opposed to the higher peaked profile of the Pirelli. 

Guess what it comes down to, we all have preferences. Plus continually improving tire technology makes them all good choices. 

• Like 1

Those M9RR’s look pretty great. Thanks for sharing that. Any idea where these are made? 
I will most likely go with a 160 rear. I guess with the M9’s I’ll have a 70 aspect ratio in the front and a 60 in the rear as that’s a what available. One thing that I’ve noticed is a lack of 170 rear tires being offered by some tire makers. I had thought that 170 was a pretty standard size. Maybe 180 is the new 170?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Great review here. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/02/29/metzeler-sportec-m9-rr-tire-review-crash-tested-at-ascari/

Looks like Pirelli owns them. I like knowing where they are made as well. You likely won't be sure till you read it on the side of the tire.

I recall one of our members stated it's the other-way-'round: Metzler owns Pirelli . . .

Recently, I found it a reassurance that my new Bridgestones are still made in Japan and my Avons are still made in England. I recall Metzler, in the past, were made in Germany, but as footgoose says - you'll know when you see the tire.

I’m reading that more tires are now made in China. From what I’ve been told, when there is someone from the client company overlooking production things are good, but when there is a lack of supervision corners and expenses may be cut and quality can suffer. If that’s the case then it could make a difference, and why have that factor with something as important as tires. I have read that Dunlops are U.S. made. I wish this information was more disclosed and transparent, other than actually having the product in hand.

• Like 1

China owns half of Pirelli... Personally I trust Michelin. I’ve been in the 160+’s and those were the only things keeping me here vs being shown my room by St. Peter...

• Like 2

I don't doubt the Chinese make a good product, mostly. I just want to send my dollars to support what remains of the western world. My last year purchase of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's were made in Japan. I think their racing tires are USA made.

• Like 3