Emergency on long trip: any advice on bike randomly shutting down?

jetboy

OK!

I thought this issue was fixed:  I got new relays, new battery, cleaned up a lot of wiring - found a bad connection to the timing sensor- fixed.  and all was well.   I started a ride up the coast of California out of SF bay area, and all was good.  rode up Hwy 1, very beautiful.. but a bit cold!  

all great.  guzzi was running fine and i took my time, rode maybe 5 hours.  

then I got onto the freeway at Legget, and then the troubles started:  Same as it had done once before:  Suddenly loses a power for a second, then does again.. gets worse and worse until it totally cuts out and I roll to a stop.  Then it sometimes comes back and I can ride a while, and sometimes not.  Sometimes it will "surge"    rawww--- rawww---rawwww when i try to give it gas.    it will also backfire sometimes.    

I limped into Eureka California-  got an aribnb... anyone have any ideas?  anyone in Eureka with some emergency parts?  

thanks

josh

I put in the omrons- and I have 1 extra omron and 1 extra of the orignal (not actually original.. but what were in there before).   Swapping relays around seems to have no effect.  

yes, I thought it was vapor lock.  sorry trying to fix bike while also checking in here.  once more going over electrical.  

here is the old one:

its been fine since then BUT  i had not tried to ride it for 8 hours straight either.  

• Like 1

I'll take a look at the ignition switch.  I thought maybe that would be it and tried turning it on and off while riding to see if the bike would start working again... this seemed to sometimes work, but other times no effect.  But also many other things "seemed" to work -  its so intermittent.  I can't find a pattern.  

Not sure I can service it on the roadside here.  see what I can do.    Good news is the airbnb guy has some tools and invited me to have dinner with them.  cool surfer dude with a VW van... so you know hes constantly having to work ont hat thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, a flat-tappet AirB&B + V11LM.com . . . :luigi:  :nerd:  :drink:

Does it run normally now that it has cooled down?

[V11Sport-OhShitHotLine - Operators are standing by . . .]

The-Matrix-Tank.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jetboy said:

Think it could be the ECU?    its just the stock unit-  anyone got a spare in a box they dont need?  Express to oregon?  

That is sooooooo unlikely. More likely a connection or switch.

1) Does it return to normal when cooled down?

2)  Does the fault change with sidestand up versus down?

• Like 2

I just took it out.     it was different, but not fixed.    Seems to run perfectly then suddenly cuts out.  now its backfiring more- which it did not do (as much)before.  not out the pipes but back up through the intake.  

kickstand seems to have no effect (other than it will kill the engine if its down in gear etc. )

• Like 1

I just changed all the fuses, just in case.  and I'll swap in the spare Omron-  is #5 counting from front or back?  

Yeah- Ill check the battery connections.  

6 minutes ago, jetboy said:

I just changed all the fuses, just in case.  and I'll swap in the spare Omron-  is #5 counting from front or back?  

Yeah- Ill check the battery connections.  

#5 is the one of the two most stressed relays on your early Sport. It is at the back. Your #1 is the next most stressed. But, it seems you took care of this with the proper High Current  G8HE OMRONS?

A set of simple (but neglected) connections to check are beneath the fuse block for the front two fuses. The fuse block can be lifted (pried) up and these connectors inspected and secured:

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

• Like 3