Emergency on long trip: any advice on bike randomly shutting down?

jetboy

10 minutes ago, jetboy said:

think something could have gotten sucked into the air filter>  hmmm. 

Why do you think that?

Rode through a flock of Monarch butterflies?

its not SUPER new.  3 years?  

there were a lot of dragon flies.  still-  that should not have those symptoms.  I'll clean it out anyway as soon as the guy gets back and I can borrow some more tools.  

Meanwhile, I think I may have found it.  

the timing sensor cable must have been too close to the engine, the rubber has two burn marks in it, making divots.  I don't see any wires but it could have been enough to fry them.    I may take it out and see if I can repair it.    any harm in just pulling that sensor side with the hex bolts?  or do I have to do a thing before I do that?   

may totally not be the problem, but it looks suspicious.  hopefully someone in town is better at soldering than me  (also I have no tools for that one)  

• Like 2

You can remove the sensor if you think the wires are damaged. Just be careful on re-install that you have the correct spacers. There could be none, or 3 spacers, or who knows... whatever. Just put it back exactly how it was. They are very sensitive and need an exact gap to run properly.

FYI, I do have a spare ECU and possibly other stuff, that I could post tomorrow if you have a need (and I agree that needing and ECU seems very unlikely.)

• Like 1

thanks!  well, I at leasts straightened it out.. got it away from any heat.  I also checked those connectors under the fuse box-  my box has two hex screws holding it it.  one WAS a little loose-  see if that helps.  once I fix everything then it should work!  ;) 

gonna give it a try in a second. got to get the tank back on and such and getting tired.  and its getting cold.. fog is rolling in.  

When you find the problem, you can say "I have found it" - which is a fun thing to say in Eureka. If you don't believe me, just ask Archimedes. 

• Haha 1

well.  I took it out- tried to get to town and it started off fine.. then crapped out completely.  I had to push it back and it was like 1/2 a mile and I am now officially exhausted.  

I am starting to think:  YES  it could be bad gas.    at this point its all I have left except that one wire.  and the wires seems to have no effect if I move it or pinch it etc... so its probably fine actually.  unfortunately.   

If its bad gas that will be excellent-  as I can just get new gas.  I got petrol at a fairly normal station up here-- but it DID start to happen right after i got that gas, and progressively got worse.  perhaps as I ran through the decent gas still in the tank.    seems crazy it could really be that bad, but its worth a shot.  Drain, Seafoam, and fill.  maybe that will fix it!  

tomorrow.  its dark now. 

• Sad 1

Shimming V11 RPM Sensor.pdf

On 5/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, jetboy said:

...Suddenly loses a power for a second, then does again.. gets worse and worse until it totally cuts out...

Josh, I suspect that your phase/revolution sensor PN GU01721600 is bad. It is a coil of very fine wire inside a resin body. It can work ok when cold, but become open circuit as the engine warms up. If the connection in the coil wire is intermittent, then the engine will be erratic. See links below to previous posts including an alternate non-Guzzi part source, and gap setting instruction attached.

phase sensor repair - How to... - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19509-v11-sneeze/&tab=comments#elControls_211454_menu

Timing sensor Leak - Technical Topics - Moto Guzzi V11LeMans.com Forum

• Like 2

My bet is on the phase sensor, too. It certainly can't hurt to put fresh gas in it, though, although didn't you have this problem before the trip?

• Like 3

I agree with Chuck. That sensor wire makes a sharp angle when mounted sometimes and can break or stress the wiring inside, can get worse when engine is hot as the wire shielding can get soft.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, footgoose said:

sounding like fuel maybe. one of those disintegrating filters? water in the tank?  can't remember is the bike new to you?

Agreed

• Like 1