IGNORED

Emergency on long trip: any advice on bike randomly shutting down?

Hi Jetboy,

It is quite a discussion already and I didn't read everything. Your symptoms remind me of a trip with a friend that has his 2001 V11 LM serviced "somewhere". Now I suspect that changing the fuel filter is not always part of the service (to keep things in the middle). So he rides with a too old fuelfilter.

This bike has the filter in front(upstream) of the pump and that causes cavitation if the filter is restricting too much.

His bike stalled and we tried a lot. Changing relais was a reflex (I always carry 6 with me😳) . No effect. We Che keep the sparks. We took the fuelline of the pressure valve in the return line to see if there was fuel. It did flow after a little hick-up. I am not sure how it should be and if the hick-up is normal, but we refitted the fuelline and the bike started and the engine ran fine again.

I do think the filter was part of the reason that the pump did not build up enough pressure. But in fact, this "repair" is a bit of a mystery to me.  So maybe one of the experts over here sees some logic.

• Like 3
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 1100Sporti had a bad phase sensor when I bought it, which took a minute to sort out. I had precisely the same symptoms, that is it ran great just about far enough to be a real pain walking back the

^^^^^Like I said, I have a dollar riding on it. I had to let the moths out of my billfold to make sure I had one.. (Guzzi content)

OK!  it stopped raining and I went out and removed the phase sensor, cleaned it.. and indeed, that oring was all messed up.  So I removed the ring.. it was chwed up and expanded etc.. no good.  

Posted Images

thanks!  The parts arrived about an hour after I had to fly out-    But I purchased fuel related parts as well as electronic- can't hurt to change out both.  will have to wait till i get back up.  

got home and fired up the moto morini for the first time in a while... :)   

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, motortouring said:

Hi Jetboy,

It is quite a discussion already and I didn't read everything. Your symptoms remind me of a trip with a friend that has his 2001 V11 LM serviced "somewhere". Now I suspect that changing the fuel filter is not always part of the service (to keep things in the middle). So he rides with a too old fuelfilter.

This bike has the filter in front(upstream) of the pump and that causes cavitation if the filter is restricting too much.

His bike stalled and we tried a lot. Changing relais was a reflex (I always carry 6 with me😳) . No effect. We Che keep the sparks. We took the fuelline of the pressure valve in the return line to see if there was fuel. It did flow after a little hick-up. I am not sure how it should be and if the hick-up is normal, but we refitted the fuelline and the bike started and the engine ran fine again.

I do think the filter was part of the reason that the pump did not build up enough pressure. But in fact, this "repair" is a bit of a mystery to me.  So maybe one of the experts over here sees some logic.

PS:  Lemans III  -    I have some envy I will not lie.  

• Like 1