Grumble grumble...

jtucker

8 hours ago, Cabernet said:

Don't travel faster than the distance you can see to be safe.

Don't outride your eyes. That is my primary speed law. On MANY occasions that mindset has allowed me to avoid surprises around corners and over crests. Surprises I have avoided include... sand, gravel, water, potholes, tar snakes, bicyclists, mattresses, a spilled load of avocados, three bloated elk carcasses, poorly parked cars, delivery trucks with liftgates deployed, dogs, kids playing street hockey... well, you get the point...

3 hours ago, Bill Hagan said:

1) Perhaps I misread your post, Cabernet, but it seems to me that your statement would mean that one would need to approach every crest at walking speed to ensure nothing sinister awaits.

2) Surely the traveling public may rely on a reasonable supposition that the road ahead is clear in the absence of various warning signs, e.g., "Hidden Driveway," etc.

1) Depends on the crest. I just rode CA-58 last weekend, which has miles of steep crests and dips. As I approached the crests, I slowed to speed that would allow me to stop on clear pavement that I could see. That never meant walking speed, but it did mean trading fun for safety.

2) From a liability perspective, yes. But from a safety-oriented defensive riding perspective, no. If I were in Jtucker's situation, I'd have two different points of view. For the liability claim, I would focus on the other driver's illegal turn.  But for myself, I would ask if there was anything I could have done differently to avoid dropping the bike, and if the answer is "go slower over crests" then the price of the lesson is a few parts and some labor. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I did nothing wrong. The other driver made an illegal 3-point u-turn in the blind spot of a hill, crossing double lines. They were ticketed by the cops, I was not.

As for the insurance issue, yeah... in hindsight, I would have done some things differently. There was a possibility of injury, and I did get checked out and some x-rays, and given that the other person was at-fault, I wanted the full paper trail.

Most of the parts I already have or can get pretty easily. I just want to avoid the whole "Salvage Title" bullshit if I buy the bike back from the insurance company, because that really complicates my ability to get proper (and reasonably priced) insurance going forward. Hopefully, it won't come to that. I'm still somewhat optimistic I can get this resolved without it being a total write-off, but we shall see.

__Jason

• Like 3

Just my two cents here .  Anyone can nave an accident, that's why they are called "accidents".  My rule of thumb, don't ride (or drive) any faster than you can see to stop.  

In so far as blame and insurance goes, if it's on your policy, you'd pay deductible amount and perhaps get assessed with a premium increase.  If it's the other guy, then his insurance would pay and it would save you the deductible amount.   Perhaps that's not trivial but it might be a major annoyance given of what one feels is "fair".    

Regarding totaling the bike, that seems to be the norm for just about any bike with full coverage, particularly for an older bike when replacement parts are rare or unavailable.  It's really based on what a shop would do considering the expense and availability of parts and the labor bill.  Given that, the bike is usually totaled.  Since an owner would take more care to fix it, order the parts (even used), and repair parts that are unavailable, I've found that it's best to leave insurance out altogether.   Certainly it's a pain for the budget and can be time consuming but the owner won't have to deal with his own insurance company trying to total the bike over a minor accident or even dropping the bike.  My advice is to go for a high deductible and only go to insurance when the bike is indeed totaled or can only be brought back by major repair and legitimate "salvage" title.

For example, I own 4 bikes and have fill coverage (with high deducible) on two.  My newest is a '17 Ducati.  I ran over some road debris that damaged the exhaust system and fairing.  If I'd have gone to the local Ducati dealer, the parts alone would be over $2k, who knows what the labor and time would be, partulcalrly if the parts had to be ordered from Italy.  Luckily, I found take off parts from ebay for about $300, had a local shop install the exhaust system.  I was out of pocket about the same amount as deducible, had no insurance claim and was satisfied that the bike was as good as new and got on the road sooner. 

Can’t you sue them in small claims and avoid the insurance altogether? Michigan is a “no fault” State I’m not sure how it is in your neck of the woods. I know I wouldn’t want my title messed with. 

Oh and as far a riding safely... in my 20+ years of driving professionally I can say that if it’s your time, it’s your time. I’ve seen things happen out here I wish I didn’t.

Safe drivers, drunk drivers, criminals you name it. I have no fear when I ride. If my ticked gets punched... that’s it. See y’all on the other side....

3 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

Perhaps the offender will pay you out of pocket to keep his record with insurance company clean?

That just happened to me last week. Dude was backing into a parking spot next to me and hit my truck. Thankfully it was right on the bumper that another goofball hit last summer.

We talked and a few minutes later he handed me $450. About half what a blind mount Texas bumper goes for and fair imo 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Weegie said:

Nice bike, MotoSpezial Vee Sump (with site glass) and Magni fairing make it something well worth saving IMHO and it seems crazy that such superficial damage would result in a "Write Off"

Guessing you junked the cooler, and routed the breather return through the sump plug, I've thought now and again about doing the same to a HiCam engine

Yes, the oil cooler went away when I put the sump on. Haven't missed it for a moment.
There are lots of other goodies hidden inside as well... hi-comp pistons, Carrillo rods, port & flowed heads done by Mike Rich, Megacycle 620x10 cam... its a fun bike.

__Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1