Oil light on after oil change

red lion

I just changed the oil and oil filter on my 2001 v11 Rosso Mandello. After adding 3 quarts-8oz With bike upright and dip stick in but not screwed in it registered full after start up. After running a bit the oil light is still on. I have changed the oil in the passed but don"t remember the light staying on. Dose it take time to go off or should I not ride it?

Take off a valve cover, if the oil isn't squirting out, you have no pressure. Next, drop the pan and make sure the filter is tight and gaskets aren't blocking any oil passages.  Don't run the engine with no oil pressure.   It's also possible that pump just needs to be primed or the pump is weak. 

If you have pressure, then there is an issue with the sensor (unlikely since you just changed the oil). 

It should take a second or a second and half to extinguish the Low Pressure Light after an oil change. Most common cause is the old oil filter gasket stuck on the motor and now you have double filter gaskets and no oil pressure.

Inspect the old filter that came off to see if its gasket is missing. Pull the new filter and inspect for the double gasket/seal.

I would do this before starting again. Certainly before riding it.

• Like 3

Thanks Docc  I just went out and looked at the old filter and there is no gasket on it. when I take the oil filter back out now with oil in the bike will a lot of oil drain out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red lion said:

Thanks Docc  I just went out and looked at the old filter and there is no gasket on it. when I take the oil filter back out now with oil in the bike will a lot of oil drain out?

Catch your fresh oil in a clean pan just like you're were going to change it, but simply put it back in once your filter is secure.

Otherwise, just keep your filter oriented upright as it will be full. "Pre-filled!"

So I will  only lose the oil in the filter. not the other 3 quarts in the sump?

Right: once, again: drain your 3+ quarts through the drain hole as if you were going to change your oil. Catch it in a clean pan and re-use it.

Then, whether you drop the sump or use the "manhole cover" keep the filter upright (full of oil) while you remove the extra filter gasket.

You will lose very little oil.

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Nope. When you take the 'manhole' off the sump the whole sump full will gush out.

How did you install the filter? You did use a cup wrench, not just your fingers I hope?

This ("finger tight") is how I recall being told to install canister oil filters on the American motors in my early days.

NOT best method for the Moto Guzzi, as Pete points out !

Some years back, member Ryland3210 did some respectable investigation on the deformation of oil the filter gaskets after initial contact. He came up with 1 1/8 (one and one-eighth) turns past contact. I found this significantly tighter than I would ordinarily tighten a filter, but has served me well over my Sport's miles (5,000 mile oil changes/ WIX filters).

Never had one come off and only stuck one: once. <_<

I used a cup wrench to tighten the filter. Ok I"ll drain the oil then pull the filter out and remove the extra gasket .Do you  check the oil with the dip stick screwed  in or not?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, red lion said:

I used a cup wrench to tighten the filter. Ok I"ll drain the oil then pull the filter out and remove the extra gasket .Do you  check the oil with the dip stick screwed  in or not?

HAha, well, my Owner's Manual English translation says, "Screw it up!"  :wacko:

Once you've changed the oil, replacing the correct volume (3.7 US quarts/3,5 litre): start it, idle, shut down and wait  few minutes. See where the level is on your stick on the sidestand. "Screw it up" or don't but it's a lot quicker and easier to take note of the oil level on the stick, while on the sidestand, dip stick pressed in (but not "screwed up") . . .

If you aren't running a sloppage sheet it's advisable to run the oil level as high as you can get away with without it being pumped out into the airbox.

If you're running a plate run the oil level just below the plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pete roper said:

If you aren't running a sloppage sheet it's advisable to run the oil level as high as you can get away with without it being pumped out into the airbox.

If you're running a plate run the oil level just below the plate.

Word!

• Thanks 1