2000 Sport

df1

Okay, so been thinking... bike right now is in shop to get sorted out after sitting for 2 years (except for occasional startups and 2 short rides).  Getting a rebuilt caliper and disc on rear.

Has always run well and pulled strong and did so on way to shop, albeit without a rear brake. ;-)

But I think I'm going to sell it.  I don't ride it enough and thinking of buying a convertible my wife and I can take around more comfortably.  My weekends are fully taken up with kids baseball tournaments, etc.  for the next several years, so really just no time for it. 

So what's the market for a  2000 Silver Sport  @12k miles

Has had a handlebar conversion, mistrals, open airbox, aprilla Mirrors, Guzzi luggage.  Have all original parts, plus a Magni fairing which I could sell together or separate. bike looks great, a little faded porkchop. but otherwise excellent.

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, df1 said:

Oh man,  I didn't know.  Well rules are rules I guess.   Just a mere matter of the $5K handling fee.  :-)

Valuation is interesting business, especially as these bikes are becoming twenty+ years old and each individual model/ color is only seen in relatively small numbers.

(I don't know if they are "rare as hens' teeth ", but certainly "finer'n frog hair! ")

An experienced member here spoke to me recently about valuation issues related to our model specific forum. The fellow has bought and sold a series of very nice V11 in recent years. I trust his opinion and he opened my eyes to a phenomenon that I had overlooked. And I paraphrase:

Those of us with intimate knowledge of this model series tend to undervalue its current market value. Partly because we have a "long memory" of prior values and sales.  Partly because we already have one (or more) V11 and would not pay a premium for another or a replacement. What this member opened my eyes to is that the biggest market looking for a V11 these days is not within our ranks, but comes here to listen to what we have to say.

(Once, again, I say, "We are the world's foremost expert on the Moto Guzzi V11." )

My observation is that we saw the bottom of the depreciation curve for V11 several years ago and actual sales prices, recognition, and desirability have been steadily on the rise. Also notable are the recent high-end auction sales of a couple different Coppa Italia for ~10,000+ USD. 

Valuation is also spread across international boundaries over the continents. Asking prices in Europe have consistently outpaced those in The States, while I've seen our Canadian neighbors do some discounting to make their V11 more available to buyers across the border. With new owners coming to the Moto Guzzi V11, these folks are necessarily making comparisons to the cost of buying something similar from the same era (maybe a BMW R1100S? Ducati ST?).

So, my joking (above) aside about "giving away silver Sports", values really have been on the rise. Don't give your V11 away. These are magnificent, unique, works of Italian art that offer a visceral and captivating motorcycling experience. 

Remember, we have a responsibility to our stewardship:

:mg:  We are the world's foremost expert on the Moto Guzzi V11!  :mg:

• Like 6

I agree docc.

I take a pragmatic approach to value and believe that value of a particular item is set at the point of sale. That doesn't help someone trying to decide what to ask. Face it, Guzzi is sort of an odd bike in the US, and spine frames are even more unusual. Real value is found in the passion of the buyer and the disconnect of the seller. Dealerships don't care so they ask for the moon. IMhO, one penny less than $3000 for your bike is giving it away and anything over 5k is flirting with high retail. That said, "there's an ass for every seat" a dealer friend once told me. Start high, see what washes up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, df1 said:

Thanks just wanted to see if there was some crazy exponential appreciation in value.  Either way I’ll come out of it pretty good

Probably not exponential. Certainly not crazy (except for those Coppa Italia sold at high-end auctions), yet "incremental" appreciation, definitely up from their bottom of a few years back.

I would like to think proper service records, analog as they might be, make a difference. Yet, that might just be me liking to think. :nerd:

IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, df1 said:

Thanks just wanted to see if there was some crazy exponential appreciation in value.  Either way I’ll come out of it pretty good

If your not really  needing the money just cover it, start it occasionally and Keep it...Kids grow up go to college and move away...a few years go fast...ask me how I know.

• Like 2

It’s more about justifying the purchase of a new “fun car” for my wife.   Once the kids are out of the house I’ll buy a new motorcycle and at that point will want a 2-up anyway.  I don’t get attached to things, makes it easier to have more variety.  Someone else can enjoy this one and give it the love it deserves for the price I deserve 

• Like 1

The Nero Corsa I just imported from Germany ended up with import tax [ $ 2400 ] close to $ 10800 :rasta: I didn't buy the bike to sell, so to me she is worth it.   Any time is a good time to buy a V11,, The prices will raise, but that doesn't matter if,, not for sale.

Saw the other day, first MK Le Mans i 2010 was in the price range 2-2.5000£ - 2019  climbed to 15000£. 

Cheers tom.

• Like 3