Front floating discs, sideways free play

Flooky

My original rotors came off at about 50,000 miles/ 80.700 km sadly worn from using too aggressive pads (went back to Brembo exclusively).

I can push one the the "buttons" just under 0.018" yet cannot feel any lateral play trying to shift the rotor laterally back and forth on the carrier. I find no specification or service limit for this value in the Workshop Manual.

What are you seeing @Flooky?

12 minutes ago, docc said:

My original rotors came off at about 23,000 miles/ 37.000 km sadly worn from using too aggressive pads (went back to Brembo exclusively).

I can push one the the "buttons" just under 0.018" yet cannot feel any lateral play trying to shift the rotor laterally back and forth on the carrier. I find no specification or service limit for this value in the Workshop Manual.

What are you seeing @Flooky?

What brand did you go off tangent with ? 

Just for discussion's sake ; brakes are going to wear pads or rotors . Something has to "wear out" . 

• Like 1

I corrected the mileage on the rotor replacement (second speedometer), so 50,000 miles. I was suspicious of the EBC HH I had on there for a while. Also had used Galfer Green before returning to Brembo at the advice of a fellow Sport rider and trusted technician. "Made for each other" and all.

I am also, admittedly, all jack-rabbit riding style. Probably more so in my first years riding the Sport.

It sounds like the OP is talking about the side to side play in the floating brake discs. That is normal, and as long as there is no rotational play in the buttons that locate the brake discs he should be fine.

Full floating brake discs have side to side play. And they also can make odd noised when wheeling the bike around in the garage or driveway. But as long as they have no rotational play between the disc and the carrier you should be fine.

I prefer pads that are of a softer material than the discs, so it is the pads that wear. But there are some interesting pad materials out there, some that coat the disc with pad material and then create friction between the pad and the pad material coating on the disc. Very cool, but it does require very specific break in procedures.

• Like 2

This makes me recall freeing up the rotor on the carrier by cleaning the buttons and bumping the rotor toward the center in a “star pattern”. Perhaps that is the freeplay @Flooky is concerned with?

Otherwise , +1 with GuzziMoto on no rotational play. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...