Jump to content
IGNORED

How did guzzi develop the BHP with air cooling and pushrods?


Grim
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

funny, I just did a google today  MOPAR (gen 1 & 2, not the new ones) 55 degree valve angle and Guzzi 56 degrees.

well said

Thank you. If anything, the Guzzi has maxed out valve sizes, as proportionately they are a larger percentage of the chamber than the vaunted hemi of lore.

V11:426.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Thank you. If anything, the Guzzi has maxed out valve sizes, as proportionately they are a larger percentage of the chamber than the vaunted hemi of lore.

V11:426.png

We are ALL VALVE BABY!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

So is the Mistral POS an air temperature sensor spoofer or a lambda sensor spoofer. Both are awful and both have issues. Given the fact the W5AM ecu is an open book using these crappy *solutions* is madness.

As luck would have it. My Mistral pipe and Mistral "spoofer" were delivered today. Of course, I immediately put the pipe on, which added about a bazillion mental horsepower, because is sounds glorious. Took it for a quick spin and could definitely feel the difference (but that could due to the mental HP). It popped on deceleration, and was a little more shaky at idle. Then I plugged in the "spoofer" and took it for the same little spin. Popping was far less, but not gone, and the idle was improved. 

I did some "post-purchase" research and it seems the "Beetle" maps are the way to go. So I will try GuzziDiag at some point soon. FWIW, I figured I could trust Mistral to sell a viable plug-and-play solution with their pipe. If the Beetle map is better, than I invested a little money in first-hand experience.

Like the saying goes: "In my life I spent a lot of money on beer and motorcycles. The rest, I just wasted."

So... to keep this on point for this topic... Doesn't the electronic engine management have a lot to do with getting the most power out of an engine? I mean, if Harley is actually trying for low-end torque, I assume they would also optimize the ECU for that - vs a midrange motor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A comparable H-D (aluminum, post '85) Sportster 883 has no problem making as much power as a Moto Guzzi with nothing more than a change of camshaft and replacing the EPA noise-restricting intake and exhaust with something that works. Our racing 883's limited to valve jobs, air cleaners, jetting and exhaust changes *always* made 61rwhp, and with careful attention to details could make 65rwhp with the razor-sharp narrow stock camshaft. 
So the ultimate answer to your question is, H-D traded HP for sound and road feel, and paid a price to the EPA for noisy valve gear as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Guzzi makes 77 hp at the rear wheel.  It's an 1100, not a 900 Sportster.  But it doesn't have new cams, intake, exhaust & valves jobs.  Buell was able to get those engines to go.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2021 at 6:46 AM, Scud said:

Becuase Guzzis are made with red wine and Harleys are made with beer. Wine has a higher alcohol content, so it burns more efficiently. The tannins in the red wine also account for Guzzis having more character. My Scura, for example, has hints of blackberry and chocolate.

Yup.............. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, Scud said:

 

I did some "post-purchase" research and it seems the "Beetle" maps are the way to go. So I will try GuzziDiag at some point soon. FWIW, I figured I could trust Mistral to sell a viable plug-and-play solution with their pipe. If the Beetle map is better, than I invested a little money in first-hand experience.

With my 2013 1200 8v Griso installing the Beetle map smoothed out the idle, cured the popping on deceleration, made the throttle less twitchy ( mostly noticable in a corner trying to balance the suspension ) & improved the mpg.

In my opinion a good investment :luigi:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, "Beetle map" for 1200s and "Meinolf map" for V11?

(What do I know, the Poster Child for the factory set-up . . . .)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 2:22 PM, LowRyter said:

My Guzzi makes 77 hp at the rear wheel.  It's an 1100, not a 900 Sportster.  But it doesn't have new cams, intake, exhaust & valves jobs.  Buell was able to get those engines to go.  

Of all the bikes I have sat on at the motorcycle shows, two have felt jusssst right, but for vastly different reasons. The Buell XB-12R and the Victory V92SC, the only "cruiser" I can say that about. It didn't last long enough to get the upgrades and Neither Buell nor Victory lasted very long at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, docc said:

So, "Beetle map" for 1200s and "Meinolf map" for V11?

 

That's what I was thinking; as the Beetle map made such an improvement to Griso's not performance as such, useability (?). I was thinking of installing Meinolf's map on the V11.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, nobleswood said:

That's what I was thinking; as the Beetle map made such an improvement to Griso's not performance as such, useability (?). I was thinking of installing Meinolf's map on the V11.

I ended up putting the ti map back on, I couldn't get the idle set up with Meinolf's map, but I gather there is 'a procedure'.  For resetting everything to cope with the richness at idle.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grim said:

I ended up putting the ti map back on, I couldn't get the idle set up with Meinolf's map, but I gather there is 'a procedure'.  For resetting everything to cope with the richness at idle.

 

Meinolf gave some advice on tuning to go with his map here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21701-ecu-bin-maps/#elControls_233775_menu

I used his map on my Ti ECU, and have never been inclined to revert to the Ti map I saved. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...