LED Headlight Option

Lucky Phil

Nice looking unit

I wonder if it's a center dip (universal) or it's dip pattern is off to the right meaning it would be unsuitable for those who drive on the left.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Weegie said:

Nice looking unit

I wonder if it's a center dip (universal) or it's dip pattern is off to the right meaning it would be unsuitable for those who drive on the left.

The lens certainly looks symmetrical (universal).

I'm not very good with electrickery, but I know on my old Tonti frame CX100, when I installed an Eastern Beaver ? headlight relay kit, it was literally like going from night to day.

Would it be likely that rather than adding a headlight relay kit on the old vintage bikes; that an LED headlight such as this would make as vast an improvement in the brightness of the headlight, with the added bonus of less electrical draw?

Or would adding a relay kit still be prudent to keep the higher draw off the switches and and on the relay instead.

I guess what I'm asking, is an LED headlight mod like this on it's own a good game plan on a vintage bike, or should the relay mod still be done as well?

tia 

My opinion and it's just that, is that a relay kit is not necessary.

It's 10W Lo 22W Hi, typically an H4 is 50 Lo 55W, so 20% draw Lo and 40% Hi.

If the swtichgear is fragile, dodgy or hard to replace a relay kit is the ultimate fix to lower current through the switchgear but as it stands I'd have no second thoughts about just installing without the hassle of extra relays.

A relay kit will up the voltage at the lamp but LEDs aren't as voltage sensitive as incandescent, a relay would lower the switchgear draw but that's about all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1