1997 1100 sport

red lion

I just bought a 1997 1100 sport from out of state , I"m in california. someone had spilled paint on the EPA sticker and the DMV will not register the bike. I called moto guzzi USA to get a letter of compliance many times. It"s been over a month and so far no letter. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Does it become an "antique" at some point in your state and the EPA thing becomes moot? (In Tennessee, that would be next year for your '97.)

30 minutes ago, red lion said:

I just bought a 1997 1100 sport from out of state , I"m in california. someone had spilled paint on the EPA sticker and the DMV will not register the bike. I called moto guzzi USA to get a letter of compliance many times. It"s been over a month and so far no letter. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Call CARB and see if there is an exemption, waiver or acknowledgement of the other state's DOT approval. Or a limited production vehicle. Heck email Jay Leno and see how he does it. There is a way - it is just finding it. If you were in Oregon, you could register anything. At least in the 90s, Oregon and Alabama had the most liberal of titling and registration requirements.

In califonia 1978 and older no EPA sticker is needed. I have another 1997 1100 sport and it has the sticker. I took pictures of the bike with the sticker to the DMV and sent them to moto guzzi USA, Any one could see the bike is compliant but up to this point no registation.

• Sad 2

Is the sticker on the swingarm? 

When my Sport was crashed in 2003, the replacement swingarm came from Germany (A big thanks, again, to @Paul Minnaert for making that happen!), but it is devoid of all of the US Federal labels. I never thought to transfer them from my original swingarm.

. . . thinking maybe a brief swingarm transplant . . . :ph34r::ninja:B)

13 hours ago, red lion said:

I have a '97, just went to look at my sticker but realized it got went away when the swingarm got painted. I'd have peeled it and sent it to you. Perhaps there's another owner who will never need it who'd like a cleaner look on their arm.

• Like 1